Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler CVT and Max RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003 | 01:17 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Scrambler CVT and Max RPM?

To follow up on my post that I traded in my 2003 Wolverine for a 2001 Scrambler. My Scrambler is just better in every way. I highly recommend the Polaris mud skirts. Since I installed them, I hardly get muddy anymore.

I don't know much about the CVT on a Polaris other than I can get clutch kits to change when the clutch engages at different RPM ranges. So I was wondering, when I'm topped out at about 60mph or so, why does the engine seem like it's not working that hard? So what limits the RPM at top speed, is it the clutch system, or an electric RPM limiter? How much is the RPM suppose to be at top speed and what does a 500 Redline at? Will clutch kits change the top speed as well as accelleration?

Mike

Old 04-09-2003 | 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Scrambler CVT and Max RPM?

I can't answer all the questions, but I can say that the clutching has alot to do with RPM. When you are going at top speed, you are in high ratio in the clutches. The clutches pretty much limit your upper rpm. To raise your rpm, you have to make changes to the clutch, but as you raise your upper rpm, you are also raising your engagement rpm. So, take off takes alot more rpm to happen. Clutch kits work with mods to the motor. For a pipe you need a change to the clutches to keep the rpm range where the pipe is designed to run. Same with other motor mods. You can only make minimal differences with just changing clutch tuning components without other mods to the motor. It is easy to get the tuning of the clutch off and for the atv to run like crap. I only have the specs for a 400 for top speed and rpm and I am sure they are different from the 500. The 400'sop speed rpm is 5750 at 38 hp. There is no redline that I know of, but is controlled by how the clutches are tuned. To really understand clutching if you want to get into the nitty gritty, you need to purchase Olav Aaen's Clutch Tuning Handbook.