Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 Sport - Where to start???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 Sport - Where to start???

I have a question that you might be able to help me with, I have a 2000 polaris 400 srambler 2x4, milled head, 84mm wiseco pistion, rcr pipe/silencer/clutch kit (do not remember color of spring), does changing the silencer hurt performance? This might seem silly to you, but!!!, I was thinking of changing out the rcr round looking silencer for a fmf turbine core II one, what is your opinion on doing this????

thanks......

Old 04-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

My honest opinion is that every pipe is made to work with a certain silencer in mind. They do alot of R&D with the pipe and a silencer that works best with it. Believe it or not a silencer can do alot to help or hurt a pipe. This link here talks a little bit about the silencer, stinger as they call it, it is not much on it, but maybe it can give you an idea of what I am saying. My best advise would be to call Rick and ask him if he thinks it would be ok and what can happen if you do it. He is very friendly and will help you in any way he can. Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

i actually run the RCR silencer for 400 and it really work great,this cannot hurt performances by any ways,sound good,good flow,not restrictive,not too lound,lightweight,easy to fit,look cool....
i run it with the HPD race pipe and i'm very happy the way it snap at top end,i think it work better than the hpd 100 db+ unit i had in the past...

Old 04-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm thinking the RCR "round style" silencer you're talking about is probably the same as the HPD MTQ silencer, if so, that is a non-spark arrestor unit. The FMF Turbine core II on the other hand is a spark arrestor equipped unit. Hence with the FMF there will be slightly greater restriction to flow. I don't remember doing any DB tests on the FMF unit, but as I recall, the HPD unit was maybe a bit quieter, especially after I added two of HPD's quieting clamps to the outer housing of the silencer. Those clamps also make a HUGE difference in the DB reading of the newer style ATV8 HPD race pipe.

Old 04-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

I just happen to like the look of the fmf silencer, but it will not fit correctly to the rcr pipe, I will have to make a new mounting bracket to hold the pipe on to the fram of the quad, guess this answers the debate of wether to keep the silencer or not, anyway, like I posted before, I have a 2000 polaris srambler 400 2x4 with milled head, 84mm wiseco pistion, rcr pipe/silencer/clutch kit (do not remember color of spring), for this set-up what would be the springs needed for the mods that I have??

thanks.....

Old 04-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

clutch springs?

for your engines mods you shoould try this:

HPD-red/yellow PRIMARY SPRING
HPD-violet secondary spring.
stock weights.
HPD-40/36 HELIX.

that is the HPD clutch setup for trail piped 400.

Old 04-21-2003, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

OK, well got back from the dunes tonight. I spent 2 - 3 hours Friday night going through jet runs and thought I had it down. I was down to a 420 main and a 56 needle on the 4th clip. Then I went out for a ride. On the way back, MELTDOWN #4! EGT never made it over 1200 and the water temp never went over 180. I ended up riding my kid's 250 TB the rest of the weekend while he rode with my dad in the buggy.

I've had the opportunity to meet a guy named Denis out at Glamis. He seems to have a excellent setup going. He was running a 99 sport up Comp Hill and smokin drag modified Banshee's! I'm going to work with him to get my bike running right. His quote, "you wanna burn a bike down, put a TMX on it!". I realized that this bike needs to have a clean start. There is just too many unknowns to me. I do not know who ported it and how, why they chose a TMX and this FMF pipe. I'm going to get this bike lightened up and fast. I plan on making a photo diary on it all. It's coming down to the frame and back up again.

Officially For Sale:
38 TMX Mikuni w/a lot of internal replacements
FMF Pipe
2 " over Swingarm (Aaen I think?)

Old 04-21-2003, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

zpnby,

The TMX's were and are notorious for burning pistons. Some say there is a lean midrange on it. I never had a problem with mine in that area. No my problem was that it didn't flow enough. I went to the 39mm Kehin PWK and never looked back. You're doing the right thing by pitching the FMF pipe. WAY too many problems with them and not enough horsepower gain to justify the problems. Start fresh with HPD products and a coated Swaintech Wiseco piston. Rick Ritter stocks them and they are worth more than their weight in gold.

Old 04-21-2003, 03:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Dennis and Eric will take great care of you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You lucky suckers with that jumbo sandbox in your backyard. ARGGGG!!! hehe

Old 04-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Man, that sucks!! I will tell you, the TMX's are a nightmare to jet!! I know while I was trying to get mine jetted right I probably tore the carb apart 60 times in about 2 months.. LOL.. I finally have it jetted right and have a great knowledge about jetting from it. I would also go with the PWK if I were you, but now that I finally have mine jetted good, I am staying with the Mikuni. Good luck and I think I would start fresh also with all those re-builds and the best thing you could do is get a good pipe.