Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Drive clutch making noise and sticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive clutch making noise and sticking

Here's one for you guys. I've been noticing a noise coming from the drive clutch. It's sort of a clicking/clanking type of sound. Seems to do it more when I roll on the throttle. During a race this Sunday, the clutch started slipping a bit, and I am attributing this to what is going on with the drive clutch. I've raced this bike for three years with the same drive clutch. It does have the HPD clutch kit in it as well as HPD super buttons on the driven clutch. Is there some part that would be showing signs of wear?????? With the belt off and it sitting in front of me idling, when I roll on the throttle, the sheave seems to stick when contracting under throttle then coming back to it's normal state under idle. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2003, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

There are a few parts that can wear inside the drive clutch. Make sure your belt is in good condition first, no flat spots of anything. If the belt is good, you will have to dis-assemble the drive clutch to check parts. This requires a spider tool that the dealer has. You need to check the torque transfer buttons that ride in and out with the spider. There are 6 of them on the sides of the spider, make sure there are no gaps between them. Also check the rollers that the flyweights ride against for sticking or binding. There are also washers sometimes behind the spider that can break or get messed up that could cause that problem. As long as the belt and clutch faces are in good shape, that is about all that can go wrong with the drive clutch.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:55 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the bushings get gummed up where the 2 sheaves slide and had to replace them but that was for the clutch dragging.Sounds like your buttons are getting bad.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Yeh, I remembered the bushing after I got off of here last night, but it was too late to get back on , so thanks for throwing that in ftwflh. Here is a picture I should've included last night also. Clutch The torque transfer buttons are #7, The roller bushings are #6, the washers are #8, and the bushing is #12. Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Range Rover

You guys are great. Thanks very much. I'll let you know how I made out!!!!!!!