Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What's the best procedure for changing spark plugs on a sportsman 700

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best procedure for changing spark plugs on a sportsman 700

As the title asks, what is the best procedure for changing the sparkplugs on a 700? Have not tried yet but planning to switch to NGK's and want to know.

Old 04-13-2003, 01:16 AM
Range Rover

not tryin to make fun of ya or anything but... seriously, you dont know how to change spark plugs on ur quad???

Haz!

Old 04-13-2003, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

I think he is asking that because if it is like some other newer Polaris's, it is extremely hard to get to and half the plastic must be removed. If that is the problem you are facing, look at this link at the bottom of the page. Plug wrench Don't know If anyone has tried it yet, but it looks like it may work in tight places?? Hope this helps answer your question??

Old 04-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

No offense taken, I do know in general how to change a spark plug - been doing it on cars, lawnmowers etc for years. The problem I am seeing on the Sportsman 700 is that there is lots of plastic, etc., between me and the plug and I am wanting to know if there are recommendations on what to remove - nudge to gain access. The owners manual AND the shop manual offer no real guidance.

Old 04-13-2003, 10:55 AM
Range Rover

OH ok, sorry man, i took it the wrong way, lol i was ganna say, man if you cant change your spark plug you shudnt be riding that thing, lol just kiddin around, once again sorry if i offended ya.

Haz!

Old 04-13-2003, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

Changed over to the NGK plugs ,cause the champions were all black and sooty and the dealer recommended it ,to help with all the problems I had.but any how it was a bear of a job had to dig around for the socket and one of those very short ratchets,still a atough job,took a lot longer than it should.The socket in my tool kit had very hard rubber up inside it and it wouldn't even go down over far enough ,it was pretty much useless.

Old 04-13-2003, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

tennfire, It's not hard to do, just pull off both side plastic pieces and get your socket on the plug and break it loose (it might be easier to use a open end wrench on your socket) and then if you have small hands just turn the socket with your fingers, if not one of the small round finger rachets work well. It is kind of like changing the plugs in a new car, not as easy as the old ones but you can still do it. I have changed to the NGK plugs and like them fine. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2003, 06:00 PM
Range Rover

Like 7002x says, remove both side panels. ( I remove the left panel only to get some light in there to see better). You have to access the plugs from the right side because the frame is in the way on the left side. The plug closest to you is quite easy but the far plug is a little harder. I use a swivel socket to break it loose and than a combination of that and the spark plug socket in your tool kit. It took me probably an hour the first time but after changing them probably a dozen times ( checking plug color and dirrerent plugs ), I've whittled it down to about 20 minutes if my back lets me bend over that long. When I install the new plug I put it in the plug socket from your tool kit and start it with my fingers so as not to cross thread it.

Old 04-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

Just in case you don't know how to pull the plastic off, the 2 side panels just pull off... no screw, bolts, etc. I start at the back seat and push straigh in towards the seat. This will pull the 2 tabs out from the fender area. Then I go to the gas tank area and pull straight down towards the ground and a little bit straight back. This will uncover 2 more sets of 2 tabs. You will get the idea how they come out once you see the tabs exposed. They just kind of pull right out.. very simple once you give it a little muscle.