Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003 | 06:31 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Predator woes

I changed my sprocket to a 36 tooth for more speed. I have the pure polaris pipe on my bike the K and N filter. I was racing my buddie on his Raptor he has his piped,jetted,and K and N also. We both started in second we were head to head but my pipe kept on popping. In the end he was 2 bikes lenghts ahead of me? Help me smoke him... Also I can't pull a wheely on my bike it seems like I have not enough torque. What can I do.. Open to all options. I heard the pure polaris e series pipe is killing my horsepower in the mid range the bike has plenty of mid range not enough low range. Should I change to a higher tooth in the rear and loose speed ????

Old 04-13-2003 | 07:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Predator woes

your gearing is causing the lack of power down low. To give you an example I am running all stock except 39 tooth rear. I raced a buddy that has stock gearing and a WB slip on. We ran dead even. You need to go the other way on your gearing. People get confused when they wont speed they think more top-end but if you sacrifice your low-end your not getting there anyfaster. Popping its just a problem your going to have to live with till they get it fixed right. No problem with the stock setup on mine thou.

Old 04-14-2003 | 01:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Predator woes

Bell, I know we were gabbing about the Univents on another thread. Install at least 5 of them on the rear face of your airbox, and jump your main jet up to a 160. Are you running all 8 of the discsand the quiet core that came with the silencer? Try those also, if you haven't already.

Old 04-14-2003 | 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Predator woes

Bell, The White Bros. slip on makes as much or more power than anything out there if properly set up. Get yourself an Airforce kit from Superbike shops and change your rear sprocket back to stock or a 38 tooth. Your problems will be solved.

Old 04-14-2003 | 11:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Predator woes

Popping is a sure sign of incorrect jetting. I'll bet the e-series runs no better than the stocker if it has only 8 disks and also the pesky quiet core installed.

Old 04-14-2003 | 12:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Predator woes

Sorry Gary, I'll take your chips from that bet. It wakes it up nicely.

Old 04-14-2003 | 12:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Predator woes

Originally posted by: modquad
Sorry Gary, I'll take your chips from that be. It wakes it up nicely.
I see you have jetted up.....so there probably is a reasonable gain. Does yours still pop as well? The quiet core will certainly take power away.

Old 04-14-2003 | 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Predator woes

Gary, actually on the Predator running 6 disc with stock air box and 155 main jetting made the best number's on the dyno, The stock pipe made little bottom end power and choked the motor down before it even hit the rev limiter, The white Bros pipe made good gains in the low to mid range and allows the motor to run to the rev limiter. Then as you get into airbox mods and other mods, you can open up the White Bros to make big power on the top end. The Predator is very sensitive to changes in air flow and exhaust flow. The pipe has to be tuned to the engine and airflow to make best power. It's not going to be like a Raptor where you can add a pipe and jetting and pick up 10 hp on the top end. But the Predator does respond to other mods better than most quads. Just no major gains from a pipe.( except on the low and mid range where the Predator needs it most).

Old 04-14-2003 | 02:07 PM
Range Rover
Default Predator woes

I installed the Air-Force kit and the Polaris (White Bro's) silencer with the turn down end no disc's and went up one tooth on the rear sprocket and it beats my friends stock Predator by 10 bike lengths we are both very good riders so I dont think that has anything to me beating him every time. and that was going up comp hill at Dumont.

Old 04-14-2003 | 11:46 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Predator woes

So I should go 38 what about 39? If I go 39 do I have to get a new chain? I live in Alaska where it gets pretty dusty and dirty will those air vents be a problem?

Quick Reply: Predator woes