several miles of me.. with the honda and polaris that's not a
problem.

your dealer network for the area you live is also an important
consideration.

Old 04-25-2003, 09:49 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 600 Vs Honda Rubicon

mudblaster,, here we go again with the belt bashing again.
He is talking about buying a new quad, not a 5 year old one.

The belt is not an issue any longer..on the 600 and 700 polaris
the belt is sealed excellently and there will not be any water
to get the belt wet..

Also, for the past 2 years, Polaris has given a lifetime belt
warranty on their quads as they use a much stronger and
durable belt now.

Again, if people will just use their low gear for any heavy
farmwork, mudding, hauling, etc... they won't get into
any trouble whatsoever.

Have u actually ever owned a polaris sportsman atv... if
so, u wouldn't bash the belt... it's usually non polaris
people who've never owned one that do the belt bashing..

Old 04-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Tutall
Hi folks, I have been looking at the sportsman 600 and the honda rubicon. I have probably over analyzed this, but this is my first atv. I have 400 acres and selectively log it, maple syrup production starting next year, and will need to plow and cultivate, and disc some small plots ( about 15-20 half acre plots) for QDM and WLM. The rest I can get done with the tractor.
The Q's are as follows:
1. How strong is the polaris belt drive and how much maintanence is involved over the long haul compared to the rubicon. Can it handle the towing and torque on the tranny and clutch/belt system? I know polaris has the most bought tranny out there but can it handle the weight and grind? it states 1500lbs but is this constant or "the Limit". Honda states 850lbs but I was told limits are d/t the braking sytem.
2. The tongue weight on the rubicon is 30lbs and on the polaris 600 150lbs what gives?? I heard that the rubicon was a utility atv to the max, why such a small tongue weight?
3. Same goes for the front and back racks, great on the polaris 600 and middle of the road on the rubicon. How am I supposed to pull my deer out with a rack weight of 66 lbs on the front rack?? My 11month old lab is heavier then that and I sure wouldn't draw back on something that small. Lugging seed and supplies into the field or gear would also tax this rack on the honda.
4. I know they have cut down on the zerks to I believe it is three on the polaris and I don't know on the honda. other then oilfilter changes and oil what other things on the polaris is needed to be maintained? 5.Clutch wear ?? Belt wear?? How long will a belt last if properly maintained under heavy utility work?
6. I know that engine wise the polaris has the edge, and frame wise, I think polaris has the edge again how about that transmission??
I posted a smaller item on Farm.utility, land and they recommended the rubicon, just wanted to know your thoughts and expertise. I will use this atv for 60-70% hauling and working the rest of the time playing!!
7. solid axle Vs Independant suspension?
Thanks for your help!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Yeah Tutall Farmer Jack's got it all covered-they're both great machines-personally I'd go with the Rubicon-(less maintenance)

Old 04-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

im sorry if you think im belt bashing its just that i know 3people who have belt drive quads, 1 is a polaris and his is a 2001 500 and he's changed his belt twice now and another one is a 650 prerie and he went through the ice and was stuck in about 2 to 3 feet of water for about twenty mins untill his freind pulled him out and his belt squeeled for an hour after. and also another guy with a brand new kodiak that had the fresh air inlet to the belt come off and he filled it up with snow. so if you think im bashing im sorry. those are just my experance with belts, i have never owned a polaris or any other kind of atv for that matter just dirt bikes up till now. and if i upset you or anyone else i apologize.

Old 04-25-2003, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

mudblaster,

I can only give u the experiences that I've had owning 3 polaris
belt drive atv's... they have been quite different from what you
say your friends experience has been...Either I'm just very lucky or your
friend did not used his low gear when he should have... I don't
think I'm lucky.

I also see you've never actually owned a Polaris from what you
said in your last post...

I'm not sure if you read my previous post so I'll convey parts of it
again.. The newer Polaris atv's are much better sealed than the
previous ones and the belts on them are 5 times stronger than
the previous design... Polaris belts are not an issue as they might
have been to some who did not use the hi/low gear properly..

I'm sure it's still possible to smoke a belt if used improperly now, just
a little harder than before...

I ride with 4 other polaris owners(we're all members of the same
hunting club).... funny how the 5 of us have never
had belt issues like u claim even though we disc, plow, fertilize and seed,
go through lots of mud and water,and we've never smoked a belt...not
once... The belts I've changed on my quads were a matter of routine
maintenace rather than necessity.. I kept the old ones as spares because
they were'nt damaged.

I just can't relate to what you're saying even though I do not doubt
this has been your experience.. it is entirely different from mine.

We've had hubs leak,brakes go bad, clutch covers warp,
speedometers stick, A-arm replaced(due to heavy disc harrow),racks bust,
but we've never smoked or broken a belt... not once...

Old 04-26-2003, 04:31 AM
Range Rover

when it comes to the sportsman line. some quads will get water in their carbs before water gets into a PVT of a new generation polaris.

Old 05-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi again,

Thank you to all for your input and your varied opinions, it is truly appreciated.
I decided to purchase a new 2003 Polaris 600, got it home last night and I am waiting for some add-on parts to show up from Montana Jack's, before I put this unit through the paces on the property. I rode both the rubicon and the polaris 600 and both dealers were very helpful and let me take them off road. They even let me pull a loaded trailer off road to get a feel for the gearing and the over all feel of both units. I guess I picked the polaris d/t the ride, and a bit more power in pulling, how I sat on the unit ( I'm about 6'4 and 220lbs), and price. Though I liked how you could manually shift into different gears with the rubicon whether in low range or upper range. I liked the disc braking, miss the recoil pull start on the polaris ( that would be a nice add on for the future units), and appreciated the hand brake set up for the Honda over the Polaris.
I truly don't think you could lose on either of these machines, just boiled down to a personal choice. Both of these machines have great power and would probably handle most applications thrown at them and come out wanting to prove they could do abit more then you should asked them to do, day in and day out.
I walked away from both of these machines with a smile on my face and very impressed with their performance, ( though abit limited experience on the riders part [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]).
I am adding on a receiver system from MTJ's, a 3.0 Warn winch, their chainsaw bracket, and skidder system. I'll weld up other add-ons as I find I need them. Implements, I am looking at the PlotMaster, Quadivator, Kasco Mfg., or going down to my local implement dealer and buying some used equipment and cut them down to size and weld them to my application. I'll let you know in a month or two how the 600 is holding up and hopefully the rider gains lots of experience without damaging his personal hide in the process[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks again to all you folks on the Polaris and Honda forums, I truly appreciated your help, insight, and advice!

Tutall

Old 05-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Range Rover

excellent choice Tutall,

like u said, u couldnt' go wrong with either machine,
boils down the personal choice.. but the polaris does have
a little better ride, more comfortable seat, and stronger frame
than the honda.. not taking anything away from the honda,
it's a great workhorse also..

If while putting implements on the front your steering starts
to get much harder(due to front end weight), pump the front
tires up 3 or 4 more pounds and that will help.

Old 05-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Good choice, Tutall.
I personally would pick the SP600 myself, if the prices were the same. Both are great machines, the 600 is just 'more' the same way for work a 3/4 ton pickup is more than a 1/2 ton. Also, around here, anyway, the Sportsmans seem to have more accessories available for them.

Not to take anything away from the Rubicon, it is a great machine. In fact, if the choice was between it and the 500 Sportsman, It would be a coin toss.

Farmr

Old 05-02-2003, 01:09 AM
Range Rover

Congratulations Tutall!! You will not be disappointed. I've had my sp600 over 7 months and still grin like an idiot
when I hop on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Polaris 600 Vs Honda Rubicon