Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Buying Polaris ATV's in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Polaris ATV's in Canada

Hello

I'm in the market to buy 2 2004 Polaris sportsmans 400 and a flip-top covered trailer and have heard it might be worth going to canada. I live in NH so not much work to get there. Buying this package I hope I will save some money. Any Info will help. Also what about Warranty work. If I need it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Thanks

Old 04-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

I live in Northern Maine (I'm 10-40 minutes away from the Canadian border depending on which border crossing I go to) and this has been a hot topic for years in my area. Many people are against this and consider an unethical business decision to buy something from another country instead of supporting your local dealer. But many others have gone ahead and bought across the border. In your situation I'd say you'll save at least $1000. A friend of mine bought a 650 Prarie last year in Canada and paid $5600 for it, in our town the dealer was asking $7000 for them. I checked into buying a Raptor in Canada last year and they were selling them for $6000 where as the dealers here were selling them for $6500. I've been told that for some reason you can't save as much on Yamahas across the border, not sure why. It's your call, if you have the time to drive across, go for it, you will definitely save money.

Mitch

Old 04-19-2003, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

I don't think you'll be able to do that. I live in northern Michigan and in Oct. of '02 I drove into Sault Ste.Marie,
Canada to buy a Sportsman also.....well the upshot of it is, the dealer I tried informed me that as an U.S. citizen
I couldn't buy a Polaris product in Canada. He gave me a long explanation but to tell you the truth, I was seeing
red so bad I couldn't concentrate!! So much for NAFTA huh??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
When I got home I called 2 other canadian dealers and they verified what the original dealer said. He also
mentioned that a couple other brands were going to be added soon. (I forget which ones)
I couldn't really get mad at the dealer because him and all canadian dealers would be affected by the lack of U.S.
business.
Yes,some people might consider buying across the border unethical or nonloyal to U.S. businesses, I disagree
if I can buy something cheaper- I'm definitely going to go for it!!

Old 04-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

I've heard horror stories about buying cars and pickups that were shipped to Canada and not sold, brought back here and sell cheap, just have to change odometer and such...Saw in the paper where Chrysler was going to court to try to get the right not to have to warranty these vehicles because they are of inferior quality! I've heard GM will not warranty them either. I actually know a wholesaler who got 20 Chevy 4x4 2500s he was trying to sell for $20k last year, save about $15 grand, but then the warranty issue came up. Apparently the manufacturers stepped up and all but admitted the ones sold to Canadian dealers are junk. I don't know if this is all true, except what I read about Chrysler, and I don't know how it would relate to ATVs, but it's enough to keep me from going to Canada to hunt for any "bargains".
And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash Canada, it's (allegedly) the American companies doing it. I just wanted to share this with you, see if maybe anyone else knows any more about it.

Old 04-20-2003, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

The vehicles shipped to canada are of the same quality.The real deal is that when you take the canadian price and add in the difference in the dollar the canadians are actually getting a much better deal on the vehicles by several thousand dollars.The manufacturers don't want the canadian dealers stealing business from the american dealers by undercutting them which is easy to do when they pay so much less for the same vehicle.

Old 04-20-2003, 01:54 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Northstar2
Apparently the manufacturers stepped up and all but admitted the ones sold to Canadian dealers are junk..
The Canadian Vehicles are made in Canadian plants, mostly in the Westerm Ontario area. To say that they are junk is rediculous. as a matter of fact, Canadian Vehicles are held to a higher standard because of emmissions. I am a Canadian Citizen living in the US and all of my vehicles over the past 5 years have come from Canada, one of which was a Ford Expedition and one was Jeep Wrangler. I have never had a warranty issue, and i have had the Expedition in for major work twice.
Don't you think that if a canadian were to come to the US on a vacation and he were to break down that the dealer would fix it??? of course they would.
The only issue that exits with buying Canadian vehichles is the importing. alot of times you will find that the importing fees are cheaper than the savings so you still come out ahead.
A very good friend of my father has a large sand blasting business and the majority of his business is in the US. All of his fleet is imported from Canada because of money savings.

Old 04-20-2003, 04:15 AM
Trailblazer

Heres the deal...I'ts a Polaris rule that they ask Canadian dealers not to sell to American's because of the money exchange rate....one reason Yamaha may not be cheaper is duty....Polaris is Made here...as is Honda....so its ''comeing back into this country'' which is why there is no duty...or very little....Polaris has asked..errrr told there Canadian dealers not to sell to people from the states caue it will hurt the border dealers...yes....u can go there...pay canadian money....yell them ur john smith from St.John NB and off ya go....and save some bucks....the spedo will be in KLM's rather than miles...not a big deal it can be changed over.....thats my .02's worth

Old 04-20-2003, 06:04 AM
Trailblazer

I don't know if you have been watching the current events but Canada stuck it to us both in the UN and Operation Iraqi Freedom and their spineless Primeminister and his cabinet have been bad mouthing President Bush & the USA for quite some time now. As far as I'm concerned they they can kiss my 700's muffler after an all day ride. It's time to show them what side of the border their economy is buttered on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

Thak you for speakin the truth Nuckles. Its great to see one more PROUD AMERICAN out there. Oh and bearthunder why don't you just move to canada if its so much cheaper there. I here things in IRAQ are pretty cheap now 2, wanna go there?

Old 04-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

Good Idea guys. Lets boycott merchandise from every country that did not support the US in Operation Iraqi Freedom. That would leave you with pretty much nothing. I am with bearthunder, if you can get something cheaper that that is the way to go. Canada had it's own reasons for not supporting the war, as did the majority of the UN. By the way, still no sign of weapons of mass destruction. And friedenspull, things are not cheaper in Canada for Canadians. It is only cheaper if you have US dollars. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Buying Polaris ATV's in Canada