Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

air force kit a joke

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003 | 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default air force kit a joke

LOL Heapster, My Predator is stock and is staying that way for a while. Until the proven facts are out.

Old 04-21-2003 | 07:12 PM
RIP Dear Friend

[quote]
Originally posted by: Heapster
........and then, this one time, at Band Camp..............[quote]

Heapster I never went to band camp so I can't relate.

Chet

Old 04-21-2003 | 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

JGL, There is no post anywhere that stated, "he would get it covered". 99Blueblaster (2nd hand info) said and I quote "Gary said send it to him" Nothing in the post about I will get it covered. This is how rumors get started, he said, she said. Then next thing you know people are getting unjustly accused of warranty fraud. So let's just talk about what we have personally witnessed.

Old 04-21-2003 | 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: oaktree
I just wanted to let everybody know that the airforce kit that super bike sells is a joke.First thing is the jet has no # on it so you do not no what size it is and gary will not tell you .Went to glamis the bike poped like crazy the jet from gary looks like a 185 or 190 .I went back to a 160 and 8 disks in wb and bike ran great but not much more power then stock.you could save your self $100 and put in about 5 uni vents and up your main to a 160 .Just thought I would let everybody know [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
A) Gary sends out 3 main jets with the Air Force kit. You will never need to go bigger than the biggest one , and you have two sizes to go smaller to adjust to elevation etc. changes. If you did not get the other mains did you call Gary and ask him to send you the others? A hassle yes but things happen.
Gary has always stood by his products. Anyone disagree?

B) I don't think that 5 1" Uni Filters will equal the 11-12 sq in. of additional air the AF kit provides
of course you could cut the lower half of your air box off like the rath version .... but I prefer the billet
look

C) I ride in Glamis alot.... 10 trips this year with 2 of those trips being 10 day stays
a 160 main will not give you the horsepower gains I have seen with the AF kit ( I went to the next
main down from the largest )

D) the popping you are getting is most likely the CDI/Rev limiter anyway. I don't think you can fairly
judge what RPM you are popping at unless you have a tach. As JJ has stated 8k RPM sounded to him
like 6500 ,

As far as Gary's integrity ....... I have been riding off-road and purchasing Dirt bikes and Atv's for 20 years
I have never bought from nor dealt with a more profesional dealer ever. I guess thats why it offends his customers when someone trash talks him or his business.

Old 04-21-2003 | 07:43 PM
Trailblazer

JGL you keep asking were we get our info from....
Info on what? the 580 kit?
the dyno results of the af kit are on the site.
I went to Rath site to check out that 65$ airbox mod and did not see it.
maybe I am looking in the wrong place , I was at www.rathracing.com
I did see where they are promoting the quiksilver edelbrock carb..... anybody had experence with edelbrock carbs? I do not base my opinions on dyno tests anyway they are too open to interpretation/misrepresentation varying test procedures etc. I base my opinion's on what works and what gets you to the top of the hill faster than everyone else. So far I'm in the 80% wins to losses column
(at the hill ) I believe adding the 580 kit over the summer should bite into those 20% of losses mostly from modded banshees. Through the dunes...... Just try to keep up..... or you'll have to find your own way back to camp!

Old 04-21-2003 | 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

ok enough is enough. heres the full story start to finish so sit down, take notes whatever. early sunday morning before going riding i decided to clean the filters on the airforce kit. the week before i sprayed uni filter oil on the filters and oiled the **** out. i put too much oil on, making a paste almost. so i decided to clean the filters. i took the bottom filter off but trying to save time i just took the top of the air box off. thats where my mistake is. i used kerosene to clean the filters. i soaked them both in it then i used warm soapy water to finish cleaning them. i left them out in the sun to dry, went to breakfast, came home 3 hours later and installed the bottom filter and just clamped the top back in place and thats it. my mistake was that kerosene being a powerful solvent must have ate into the locktite and the rest is history. if there is anyone to blame it is myself, not superbike shop. come on, enough. everyone here likes to rant and rave about their crap or how this is or who did this or this company did this better or worse. gary at sbs is one of the best people i have dealt with. people here are knocking him for not telling them what jet size he uses, get over it. you don't see coke posting their formula do you?(i know that is a bad comparsion) if the airforce kit is such a joke then why would you want to know what jet size. personally i tried the uni vents but couldn't get the bike to run right. i called rath racing but he wouldn't help, maybe i cought him at a bad time or he was busy doing somethig but he didn't have or want to have the time to talk and just blew me off the phone. whatever the case that was that. then you call gary and he answers all your questions, nice and professional. so i tried his kit and walla, that was the best hundred i spent. as far as sending him the motor, i'm paying out of my pocket. the reason i not keeping in the shop by me is because they told me AUGUST, MAYBE. so i call gary and he has got the parts in stock, so what would you do? let the bike sit for 4 1/2 months or get it fixed in 2-3 weeks? we can go on with this bull crap all day or just let each shop do thier own thing, satsifing their customers or not. but you should not knock gary for his product, hes just trying to help and do good for us predator owners enough said, dinners getting cold

Old 04-21-2003 | 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

Hi everyone,

Wow, what a lot of expended energy for a difference of opinion. It's probably a bad time along this thread to ask a general question, but I can't resist. I was wondering if anyone knew the airflow CFM for the AirForce kit?

Take Care,

JJ (Still wearing my kevlar raid vest in case of angry reponses....)

Old 04-21-2003 | 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: modquad
One more comment. If someone would've tested their airbox mod kit further, and thought it out a little better, Jcal wouldn't be having to have Gary "try" to warranty hardware running through a motor. By the way, Polaris does read this forum. Warranty fraud kinda comes to mind here. Jcal, sorry about that, but you can thank SP. Wanna play? Don't try to screw the people that busted their butts to give us this machine. It's called loyalty, yea, sometimes I bring it to extremes, deal with it.
FIRST READ MY POST, THEN COMMENT OR DON'T COMMENT AT ALL IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

Old 04-21-2003 | 08:15 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: jcal
FIRST READ MY POST, THEN COMMENT OR DON'T COMMENT AT ALL IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT
jcal,

I thought you had it covered in your next to last post.

You just had to throw one more in.

Old 04-21-2003 | 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

JJG, I don't think it was ever put on a flow meter, the original kit was only one plate, the second plate originated in a last minute tuning session, after opening up the exhaust more.

JGL, well I guess JCAL is about the best source we can get to settle that discussion. what are you reading,
you state that Garys Motor kits is faster and better then anyone else kit
I don't see that anywhere on this thread. once again another false statement by you. And your suggesting someone does not have credability.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: air force kit a joke