Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

air force kit a joke

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air force kit a joke

I just wanted to let everybody know that the airforce kit that super bike sells is a joke.First thing is the jet has no # on it so you do not no what size it is and gary will not tell you .Went to glamis the bike poped like crazy the jet from gary looks like a 185 or 190 .I went back to a 160 and 8 disks in wb and bike ran great but not much more power then stock.you could save your self $100 and put in about 5 uni vents and up your main to a 160 .Just thought I would let everybody know .Iam not saying garys company is a joke I just think the airforce kit could use some more R&D.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2003, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

Why wouldn't he tell you what it was for a size? That doesn't sound like good business. What did he say when you told him how bad it was popping? Did he offer to send you different jets? I'm assuming you already put in the airbox mod? Have you tried to move up from the 160 to see if it would build some more power? This is the first post that I've read about it being bad, that's why I"m asking so many questions. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard several comments about Gary or things he says that make me think he is not all that great of a business man. First jetting, why will he not tell anyone what size of jets to use, this makes it impossible to rejet at different altitudes, second he told people to run the K&N filter dry for more horse power big mistake in dusty conditions, I have heard that Polaris or Rath is no longer doing business with him , and finally many may remember reading that JCAL had his motor lock up, many people were calling it another transmission failure , why hasnt JCAL posted the real problem, what happened was a nut came loose off of the AF kit on the top of the lid and cuased major motor damage, why hasnt he posted this here? I read on another forum that JCAL was pissed at the dealer for not fixing the motor under warranty and Gary called the dealer dicks and told him to just send the motor to him. That is not good business. The dealer should not file it under warranty neither should Gary.

Old 04-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

Hi all,
It is my opinion that the popping issue is far more related to the crappy, factory CDI box than jetting. The popping is much more noticable when you are revving the motor higher, about 8,500 rpm and above, like bigger jetting will allow you to do. It is also amplified by the open, larger dimeter exhausts most commonly used. Most bone stock Predators I have seen and heard WILL pop at the top end, they're just harder to hear with the stock exhaust system.

The Predator motor has a great valve train that is good in stock form for about 10K rpm. However, with the stock CDI box, no matter what mods you do to the motor, it will still stop making horsepower at about 8,000 rpm. Then, most factory CDI boxes kick in at about 8,600 rpm, and start retarding the timing, which amplifies the popping issue. Check the dyno sheets from Yoshimura, HMF, Trinity, FMF, Gary at the Superbike Shop, and any other pipe makers out there, and you will see the power STARTS DROPPING after 8,000 rpm. Until you get a new CDI box for about $350.00, or learn to shift at 8,000 rpm, you're going to have the popping problem.

As to the loose screw and JCAL's motor lunching, that is very bad, and I am sorry for his situation. I went the route of a slip-on K&N filter and a stage III Dynojet jet kit, and I have less $$$ tied up in that than the cost of the AirForce kit when you add in the drop in K&N filter cost. I will go against an AirForce kit equipped Preadator at any time and not be intimidated.

I like the ease of maintenance of my slip-on, and it makes serious horsepower. I personally would have never put anything into the intake system that could fall off. I have found that if there's a way for it to happen, it will. However, that is no way a warranty issue, and I think everyone realizes that.

Lets fight Polaris about REAL warranty issues that we might have a chance at winning.

Take Care,

JJ

Old 04-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

jjg15150 is telling you the big issues,this new state of the art 4 strokes have like 64mm stroke??? so it does mean it rev in the higher rpm like 10000-12000 rpm at full mapping,but at those rpm's,i'll put more my money on a fuel injected engines in the long run,jet it rich as you want you won' have any more play with the Sstock CDI unit,wait til it hit the market,as far the air force crap,you're always better to spend your money with HPD or HOT SEAT with polaris quads...

Old 04-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Oaktree, the kit comes with more than one main jet, just for correcting for elevation. The Airforce kit will out perform any other airbox mod and jetting you can come up with, IF PROPERLY INSTALLED.
JJ, I hope you get to race a Airforce modded predator, then you will own one to. Stick all the uni-vents, and re-jet your heart out it will not come close. 99blueblaster Polaris and Superbike shop does still do business together despite what other misinformed people may try to post. As far as Rath racing, No they do not. But it has nothing to do with performance issue's.
Scramblered, have you tried the airforce kit, keep an eye out for some upcoming article's in the popular mags, until then i wouldn't be putting any company down, cause your fixing to look really stupid when the test results are posted. The truth will be out shortly for everyone to see.

Old 04-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

Hi SP700,

Right up front, I just want you to know that you don't have to defend Gary or your choices, to me anyway. I do not have any disrespect for Gary and his methods, in fact, I have used and followed many of his tips, and I believe he is knowledgeable and very well intended. Just because I chose a different route for my jetting does not mean his way (ie: the AirForce kit) is not good. I have certain comfort zones, like most people do, and a K&N slip-on is one of those. My friend Tres has the AirForce kit installed, and when we get to hook up again at Glamis soon, we will do some friendly side by sides...but unless he wipes me by 3-4 bike lengths every time, then we switch rides and the same result happens, I probably am going to stay with what I'm doing now, because it runs very strong, and I will NEVER have to worry about a nut or bolt going down my intake.

The last posts I read from you, you had not yet gotten your 580 kit up and running yet. Have you had a chance to run it yet, and if so, can you give us a little feedback on how it's doing?

Thanks,

JJ

Trending Topics

Old 04-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

G'day sp700.

Mate take a breath, your bias towards Gary is clouding better judgement.
There are other options out there to open up the box that sound just as good as Gary's.
Just ask JJ and modquad and many others.
Who knows which is better untill appropiate testing is done.
I agree that Gary is very good to us, I've spoken to him a couple times and he has been very good ,but that is his job. And he is not Robinson Crusoe.
I have the air force kit and it has not helped my popping problem @6000rpm,as yet.
But I know it has helped others, just like the univents have also.
I'm also keen to read your future posts on your changes.

Happy easter from down under,Geoff.

Old 04-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

JJ, sorry to sound defensive,but alot of people want to put down Gary and the Superbike shop just because they are loyal to another company, without even trying there products. I agree, there needs to be some mods made to the upper plate of the airforce kit, I will use pop rivits on mine for sure. Gary has JCAL's engine now, I am sure he will take care of him. My engine is still at the shop, still waiting on cometco to get the custom head gasket to Gary. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now, they promised they will be there Tuesday. Gary has some stock gaskets but the Nitrous will be to much for them, so I just have to wait !!! There are some 580 engine's out there and performance is great !!! The most impressive thing I am hearing is how fast they rev, and with stock swing arm are a problem to keep the front end down in any gear, and sound more like an Indy car. The new CDI box will be a must for the 580 kit. looks like Vortec is leading the way on that. but to answer your question, i am waiting on Cometco, then a couple of days on the dyno, hopefully ready by this weekend.

Old 04-20-2003, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Again,
Thanks for the update SP...I'm sure the 580 is going to be a screamer. It has a lot of the right stuff...good bore to stroke ratio, and a well designed head. Be sure to let us know all the scoop, both with and without nitrous!

Hey Goeff, where's your Vortex CDI box??? I thought for sure you would have one on your Pred by now, since it sounds like you got one of those factory CDI's that were defective, not just poorly tuned! Let us know ASAP. I have been so busy with work these last few weeks I haven't had the time to even check on the USA Vortex availabity.

Take Care all..and happy Easter!

I'm off to big family dinner get together!

JJ

Quick Reply: air force kit a joke