Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

air force kit a joke

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air force kit a joke

I will save you some time, the kit uses the stock needle. It's the combination that works not any indiviual part.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Oaktree, several people use this kit in the dunes and every where else with no problem, just get an outer wear and put on the filter. I would use rivits on the top plate instead of the nylon lock nuts. Someone will make a new airbox for the Predator, that has good flow, and protection. any mod to the airbox is going to increase the risk of water or dirt entering the engine. The Raptor's don't run a lid at all in the dunes with a K & N filter, with no trouble, don't see how this kit is any different.

Old 04-21-2003, 12:11 PM
JGL
Trailblazer

Once again Gary's word is questioned. All he keeps saying is just wait and see you will all read it in the mag's. Well I just got my new ATV Sport and there is a huge spread on the Predator. It talks about the Predator, Rath Racing and TC Racing building Daryl's motors. Not ONE word about the Superbike Shop or Gary. His story about his so called connection with Polaris is wearing thin.

Old 04-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

JGL, Just be patient, it's coming. I have never seen so many jealous people try so hard to dis credit someone. It's hilarious to hear you guy's and know what's really happening at the same time.

Old 04-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Man does this get old. If you're gonna take a chance installing a fastener downstream from your filter. Probably the safest object to use would be a rivet. Make sure you get the core stem out....then that leads to another problem of how to seal that hole. Squeezing a solid style (aviation) rivet would probably be the best. You could also coat the outside with a thin film of sealant.

SP let the "jealeous" comments go. Don't make me bore these people with facts. Straight from Polaris, the deal with Gary was a one time shot, stretch the motor limits but keep it reliable (that's a quote) Nothing more, nothing less. Period.

Old 04-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

Can't spend too much time on this post as I'm at work [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Just got back from Glamis..... I was there for 10 days well actually 8 days ... I went to the river for 2 days in between...... I know rough life right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Pred is running purrrrfect..... Can't even start to list races run and bikes beat..... but summary would be that this bike will beat anything stock.... Z400's no matter what you do to them... ( although I hear Curtis Sparks is working on them now ..so that may change) Stock banshees, but not modded banshees stays withem half way up and then the shees pull away but not by far! I'm not talking the alchohol shees I didn't race any ..... and their not in the same class anyway. lets see .... Raptors ..... Bike will beat most raptors except ones with serious engine work and good riders. DS650's again unless they have serious engine work / good riders/ And aftermarket CDI box. Yes I am running the AF kit ...works great... Do I like the upper cut out? No, but it seems to get the most air were it needs to be ..... I cleaned mine at mid trip and oiled the filter like crazy... NO sand or dust got past the filter. I would estimate that we did at least 50-60 hrs of riding this trip. and this is like the 6-7 trip with the pred...... No problems. Ball joints are fine. no coolant leaks... nada, And if you think I don't give this bike a work out I invite you to come riding some time! Me and JJ have had touble hooking up for some comparison racing and unfortunately with the season wearing down I'm not sure when We'll get to hook up...hopefully soon.....

One thing that helped me immensely was shifting quicker..... In other words I don't wait for the engine to reach top rev before shifting..... At Glamis racing Old's I will try and hit 4th by the time I hit the whoops... ride out the whoops in 4th and then hit 3rd to pull the hill. I also have a 39 tooth rear sprocket which allows me to start in 2nd

I used to be the only one in camp ( there are generally at least 30-50 people in our group) with a pred but as more people have ridden with me or done research on thier own there were 4 preds in or group this time with at least 5 more people planning on having them by next season. Flat out , hands down the best all round duning machine out right now. Add the air force kit and you just made the best better.
Can't even imagine how much fun it's going to be when I get the 580 kit and Vortex CDI box WhooooHoooo!!!!!!!

One last thing .... There are some really cool mods out or coming out... 1 friend had a billet triple clamp that allowed him to mount the thicker ( 1 1/8 th? ) Renthal bars and that looked awesome. Another friend fabricated a mounting bar for the rear fender that allows you to remove the nerf type thing behind your foot . It looked factory I told him to get me some pic's and that there would most likely be folks that want them. ( He's a machinist ) anyway seen some trick stuff out in the dunes on preds... ( man there everywhere now!! ) I look forward to adding some stuff myself whle I'm waiting for next season...... Man it gonna be a long summer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Dam I wrote alot

Cya

Tres

Old 04-21-2003, 02:47 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: SP700RACER
JGL, Just be patient, it's coming. I have never seen so many jealous people try so hard to dis credit someone. It's hilarious to hear you guy's and know what's really happening at the same time.
Thats the whole intent of these forums to see what works for someone and how another person it doesn't work.

Old 04-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I am amazed at how many people seem to dislike Gary for trying to make the predator faster at this point.

Old 04-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

What's so funny about all the people trying to dis-credit him have no facts, just claims someone at Polaris told them this or that. When HPD finally gets some products ready all this critisizm will go away, but there just jealous we are racing Big bore Predator's while they try to hunt reason's to post negative comments until they have parts available. Get ready to cry some more modquad because there is another new engine in the works. Billet-Zilla, just for us drag and sand racer's. Nobody has ask you to be a member of the Predator Pack that Gary has organized, nobody cares about your so called contact's at polaris. I will not stoop to your level and try to discredit people over the internet. I know the facts plain and simple. I don't see HPD, HOT SEAT, or AAEN building any motor's for Polaris, not even a one shot deal as you put it, so let it go dude. When you have an engine, come race the Superbike shop Predator's, until then support your shop of choice, and be happy.

Old 04-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

SP I didn't see were Modquad was bashing Gary.
I think he was saying how he would attach the upper billet air filter....
Myself..... I think I will put a bit longer screws on, and then mar the threads so that the nut cannot come off. Obviously anyone bashing Gary at superbikes has never dealt or talked with him..... Gary has helped me out immensely and I would have sent him a C note just for his advice let alone the AF kit.
How many shops out there have a message board were they let thier customers "air it out" in other words ...leave themselves open to critisism on their own site! But Gary welcomes this dialog because he's after the bigger picture...That is happy customers that love to ride! I consider myself part of his R&D dept. Is there any product out there that was perfect on its first run? Gary welcomes our input and takes our thoughts and experiences into consideration when making changes or developing new stuff.
Maybe other shops do a lot more R&D work before cutting loose....... But I don't like waiting and would rather be part of the evolution so to speak of predator speed modifications. I think JCAL understands this as well ...thats why you don't see him bashing Gary, I only wish we had a shop with as stand up of a guy as Gary here in Socal.... He would get all of my business.

Quick Reply: air force kit a joke