Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator vs V-Force in 300' time drags

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator vs V-Force in 300' time drags

Yes, I went out and got a 700 V-Force (orange), just to see how it compares to the Predator. And as I do my own shootout, I will keep the one that's best for me. Heck, it's only money. After about a hr of running the 700, I decided to see how fast it was at 300'. I have about a 350' flat straight driveway before a slight corner. I started on pavement, and it went to a hard gravel. So these are the times of each of three runs.
KFX 700
1st run---5.76, the first was the best take off of the three. About a 6" wheelie
2nd 6.25---even leaning way forward, the front came up to high
3rd 5.85--- didn't get on it as much, because of what happen on 2nd try

Predator
1st run 6.07, stated in 1st, and ended in 4th
2nd 6.02, started in 2nd, but didn't get into 4th. hitting rev limiter in 3rd at the end
3rd 5.81, started in 2nd, and ended in 4th. This was the best set-up

Both atv's are stock, except a 13 tooth on the Predator. Also the Predator has about 7hrs on it. So if I was to take the best times in each in a drag race, the 700 would have beaten the Predator by about 1/2 a bike lenth, or 3'.
I'll give the low end to the 700, but the mid range hit goes to the Predator by far. And even tho I didn't have the room, I believe in a longer race, the Predator would win. I give the 300' time to the 700 due to the auto, more then the motor.

My next shootout should be Friday on a 3200' track. What other test should I do? This is what I'm thinking about. Track, woods, fuel consumpsion, and fun factor. I can't do any dune runs, too far to travel.

Features I think are pretty close, but I give a slight edge to the Predator.
Predator
Easier and more adjustable suspension.
Stainless steel brake lines.
Lighter.
Rims and tires are about equal.
More race ready.
Has more of a power band hit
steers sharper

KFX 700
Reverse
Fuel light indercator
always in the right gear
Great low end. ( but to use it fully, you about have to hang over the handle bars)
Tires and rims are about equal.
Nice rumble from the motor, but a lot of belt noise.

Overall, I'm going to have fun trying the two best sport quads out there. The question is, which one will I end with?

Old 04-20-2003, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen both at the sand drags and stock for stock in the sand the 700 won't touch a predator. Weight being the big problem. Saw one go 6.30(700) and saw the predator go 5.90. Then I saw the predator on alky go 5.68 with 13/39 gearing of course it at one awesome drive Turbo Bobby.

Old 04-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

The reason I did this type of drag, is there are to many veriables in side by side drag racing, such as, who got the best jump, did I start in the right gear, did I miss-shift, this way I can get a accurate 300' time. I even filmed it so I can watch it on tv to make sure I started and stopped at the right time. One thing that did surprise me about the 700, it felt slower then the Predator, mostly due to the auto, and not getting that midrange hit like the Pred., but did get the fastest time. However, for being a 700, it didn't blow me away like I thought and heard it would. I hear a lot saying it blows away Pred and Raptors, but from my test with equal riders (being myself), I beg to differ. And again, on a longer race, I feel the 700 would loose, because it feels like it gets up to a certain speed, then starts to level off, but the Predator keeps on building.

Old 04-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind a timed drag event is the only way to get a good comparison. That eliminates the driver jumping the gun,etc. It starts timing when the wheels break the beam.

Old 04-21-2003, 01:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

We went to Pismo this past week and I have my Predator and my dad has his Vforce. We raced 3 times and I won every time.
The thing is though that even though I have paddles on mine and a 13T sprocket mine is basically stock and his is stock as well. I think the weight had to do with outcome also because I weigh a lot less than he does. I think that when he gets paddles for his then the outcome will be a lot closer. We'll see in a few weeks when we go back.

Old 04-21-2003, 02:08 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

I raced a Piped Predator up Bowl 1 at Sand Lake on my Stock KFX700. It beat me by about a quad and a half, give or take. The weight of the 700 does play a part in a Drag Race in the sand. Because of it's weight it rides lower in the sand, causing more resistance. Take away the softness of the sand, and put it on hard pack dirt, and it is Noticably different.

Old 04-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

Please keep us informed GE, one of these two quads will be my next quad....

Mitch

Old 04-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

The 700 starts running MUCH better after its broken in. The front end becomes easier to keep down and the acceleration is noticeably better.

Old 04-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

My polaris had the same problem with the weight, till I put it on a diet. Also most manual qauds are launching at over 5000 rpm and that would be a drag only setup for us auto's.

Old 04-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

If the weather is good tomorrow, I going to put some more time on the 700. I'm going to ride on the track that I made, so I can get used to how it handles before I do the track shootout on Friday. I've been on the track twice with the Predator, so it would be only fare to get some time on it with the 700. I want to make this as even as I can. If things go good on Friday, I'm also going to do a jump shootout, and gas consumpsion.

Kevin
I hope the 700 does get better with time, but with it being a 700, and with all the hype about how its blowing away everything, I admit, I was expecting more. Again, on my 300' times, I feel it was the auto that put it above the Predator, not the engine. 5 hundreths of a second you can loose in shifting.

Quick Reply: Predator vs V-Force in 300' time drags