Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Advantages of twin or single cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2000, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the major advantages of a twin cylinder over a single (assuming they are the same size and have same carb size and valves)and visa versa? i would think that a big single cylinder would need a lot of weight to balance it especially if its a four-stroke. were as a twin used each cylinder to balance the other cylinder.

any comments or ideas would be apreciated thanks

Old 04-28-2000, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have similar thoughts.

More cylinders = smoother running engine, in general.

For the same displacement, the pistons and cylinders are smaller than the big bore single.

Now you need more complicated manifolds and maybe a second carb. But, that second carb may be a good source of added power.

Generally more parts = more potential for failure. Keep it simple works for engines too!

Would a twin disperse heat better? Maybe. Smaller pistons and cylinders with more overall surface area for cooling fins or water jacket.

Just some thoughts.

DJ

Old 04-28-2000, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

To begin with there is obviously going to be a weight difference, the twin will be heavier but the single will be lighter. The more cylinders you have the faster the machine will be, so the twin will obviously be faster than the single. However torque wise, I would think that the single cylinder would have more torque than the twin.

Old 04-28-2000, 02:29 PM
Range Rover

I don’t know a lot about twin cylinder and I would like to learn more, but one thing I do know is that my brothers Banshee wile run like a dog on fire. This was my first time on a Banshee. I ride a 2000 Trail Blazer and a 2000 Scrambler. The Scrambler will get the Banshee out of the hole but its over when you hit forth gear on the Banshee and don’t even try to ride it in the woods. Don’t worry after riding the Banshee I still would rather ride my Polaris.

Old 04-28-2000, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

the reason that i ask the question is because im told that the next sportsman will be a twin, when i said that to some people in the chat room the dident like it because it would be heavier.
if single cylinders are better then why dont u see a single cylider sled or pwc,i know there 2-strokes but there sizes is the same. most sled and pwc engines are pretty reialiable too, so i would tend to think a twin would make smoother power and rev faster sence it has a shorter stroke