Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

WHY IS IT???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default WHY IS IT???

Why is it that people complain when they hear about new atv regulations when you look at 90 percent of the people on this sight not wearing helmets. That sets a real good example for the younger riders that go to this sight for info. People doing wheelies and jumps without a helmet. So no wonder why the injuries have more than doubled. I guess the government has the right to change the laws because of people that dont obey them. We dont have anything to stand by when they want to change a law. I just dont see what the big deal is with wearing a helmet. If we set a good example for the younger riders and injuries go down then maybe we have some more leverage on where we can ride and who can ride.

Old 04-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHY IS IT???

Obeying laws is not the problem, using common sense is.

I have been in the shooting sports industry for 37 years. While there are millions of firearm owners that obey all laws and practice safe storage and common sense use of firarms, the gun control legislation is written to control the handful of firearm owners that don't.

I am seeing the same thing happen in the ATV sports. Lands that were open for public or semi-public use closed, not because of the thousands that ride sensably, but by the few that don't.

By not being responsible in any activity we chose to do, we will soon loose the priveledge to do that activity.

ATVs are clearly marked with the age group that is not supposed to be riding them. OEM Dealers are constantly working in fear of entrapment for the act of selling an ATV to a person that the salesperson knows could let an underage person ride that machine. I recently took my stepdaughter who is 9 years old with me to a local Polaris dealer to look at a Sportsman 90. The first asked her age, then told me the sales presentation was over. The could not talk to me about a Sportsman 90 because it is posted as be for riders over 12 and my stepdaughter is 9.

Yes it is fun for your 12 year old to ride your 400L, but a 400L is posted as no operators under the age of 18, and your 12 year old can most likely handle it ok. But if something happens, and the insurance company finds out, your insurance is no good. If DCFS finds out you could loose your kids or even be on your way to jail, especially if you have a nasty absent parent involved.

Yes, a 25cc or 50cc isn't as exciting as a bigger machine, but is is a lot safer, and is a whole lot more legal.

Old 04-26-2003, 11:28 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WHY IS IT???

HEY PAULYWALLY I am going to p@#$ you off but........ I think the GOVERNMENT should BUTT out!!!!!!!! We the parents are responsable for our children and my 10 yr old rides a 125 Breeze which fits his size and abillity(he is ready to go to a 250) he has be riding since he was 5 and knows his abilities better than any GOVERNMENT BODY could .It is more dangerous to under size a kids machine than you would think.But yet again it is just as bad to over size it.It makes me sick to see kids ride unsupervised and without the proper gear.We wear boot,helmets,gloves evertime we go trail riding.Not to say it is every time we get on one of our machines.There is times we dont like moving them around the yard . I do let my son ride my 425 Magnum when we are in the right position and for a reward(wont even ask to ride the 400 it scares him) But what I am saying is that the parents not the government knows what the kids need.Granted there are bad parents but I dont think you will find them in these forums.By the way I am a life long member of ABATE and that group has stopped people like before. Brad Hurt <ftwflh>

Old 04-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default WHY IS IT???

As always, the few will ruin it for the many.

Old 04-27-2003, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default WHY IS IT???

I agree the government sticks its nose in to much. But I always wear a helmet on the trails because I spent some time visiting someone in the head trauma unit. Thats my choice because it may not save your life but at least they will be able to have an open casket funeral. PS I wore a helmet on my harleys even in states where you didn't have to.

Old 04-27-2003, 02:15 AM
Trailblazer
Default WHY IS IT???

hey paulywally, that dealer sucks, coz i got a brand new 1996 sport 400L when i was 11 years old. and the dealer knew from the start that it was for me. it only hurt me 3 times and that was in the later years of owning it. it was a little bit for me, but i could handle it just fine. i wore a helmet usually. sometimes i didn't, usually i did tho. i was pretty big for an 11 year old tho.

Old 04-27-2003, 02:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WHY IS IT???

Well........ there are so many other things dealing with children that fall back on correct parenting as well. All you can do is teach them the right way the best you can and naturally they will take it from there. But I have to completely agree with Brad. A responsible parent and child can make up their own minds on what's right for them. Too bad there are some not very responsible and plainly put some pretty stupid people out there.

Old 04-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default WHY IS IT???

I us to gripe about the size restrictions quite a bit, but I just got done rebuilding a 86 Honda 250sx for a friend and it was sitting next to my son's Scrambler 90. I was amazed a the similarity in physical size. As a teen in 1986 me & my friends were all riding simialr sized machines.

1. I can modify my kids 90's to outperform my wifes stock trailblazer; better suspension, better HP, lighter weight, and more.

2. Motor technology has come a long way. I just rode a friends sons 125 dirt bike, it would kick the s*#t out of the 250 dirt bikes we were riding 10 years ago.

So, in review I will keep my kids on the right size machines and modify them to my kids. My son has expressed a interest in racing, if he races he will need to stay in the 90 class for a long time. (my head still spins everytime I think of a $6000+ mini). I will always put my kids on the safest machine for their size and skill, I dont think age (or a goverment special committee who doesn't even know us) has much to do with it. I know 18 year olds that I wouldnt even let ride my kids 90's. Its a shame the government associate age w/ maturity.

If you have been to a mini-quad race youd see that most of these kids are responsible pre-teens. Much more responsible than the bulk of the teen group that are backwoods riders who are riding without helmet, riding double, and drinking & riding. But yet the immature teens have a free run while the responsible youngsters are regulated by age. Just doesnt seem fair. How about a competency test instead of an age restriction?

I think to many parents were putting their kids a machines that were to big for kids to ride safely so the goverment jumped in and set up regulations that are just as rediculase as parents who didnt "raise" their kids.

I'll never forget when 3 wheeler came under attack and the sport almost died. Mothers were coming out of the woodwork to say if they knew how dangerous ATVs were that THEY would have never bought them for their kids. That always sounded like neglegent parenting to me, it IS you responsibility as a parent to know what your kids are into and the risks associated with their activities.

So, as its been said, a few are ruining it for the majority. Use a little common sense because the goverment doesnt, and they will do something to protect kids from their stupid parents. This country is run by special intrest groups, a miniority that has learned how to make the lawmakers think that they are speaking for the masses. Our laws are typically made to satisfy them, not the masses.

Remember, if we are not requlating the sport, the goverment and special interest groups will !!! So, if you see someone being a DUMBA$$ go tell them. Stop riding with them. Do something. I wont even go riding if someone in the group doesnt have a helmet. I'll load back up and go home.

We all have choices to make, and your free to make them as see'em. Just my 2 cents. (OK that was a bit long winded, make it my 20 cents).

Old 04-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default WHY IS IT???

Polairs sends out spy's to dealers to see if they are selling adults units for the use of kids, if that dealer gets caught he can loose his contract with Polaris. Thats why that one dealer turned you down, he thought you could get him into trouble.

Now this is how you shoud have done it.

Dealer: Hi can i help you with somthing?

Customer: Yeah i was looking to buy a trail blazer for my son here.

Dealer: He's 16 isn't he?

Customer: Uhh... Yeah thats right.

Dealer: Good because our adult sized units can only be riden by 16 year olds. Being that your son is 16 we have no problem here.

Customer: OK

On our farm my cousin why riding a Magnum 425 as his main machine when he was 9. We rarely wore helmets and never had to use them. It has nothing to do with the ATV itself.

Cars are the same way, people get hurt in them all the time and you don't hear the gov getting in their business.

Old 04-27-2003, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default WHY IS IT???

Are you kidding? The government not in the automobile business. In NY it's the law to wear seat belt, use headlights if your windsheild wipers are in use, and hands free cell phones only. Heck some towns even prohibit restraunts from having drive through windows because its illegal to eat while driving. Where do you think the idea for registration and insurance came from.... the automobile sector. Government has been in auto's a lot longer than ATV's.