Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

A little water and it's all over with

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little water and it's all over with

Went riding yesterday on one of the nicest days of the year so far. My friend was on his Sportsman and I was on the Scrambler. We rode in a creek and went deep many times like usual. Had a great time for almost two hours. We doubled back in a part of the creek we already crossed. It was deep so we took the left side. I went across somewhat carelessly as it wasn't very much of an obsticle. I was almost across when the front tire hit a log and the back tire dropped into a hole. My clumsy beast rolled over into about four feet of water. I couldn't catch it before everything was flooded. We dragged it out and the air box was full of water. The Sportsman pulled it back to base and today I began changing oil. I pulled the spark plug and blew out all that water. Put new oil in and drained the carb. It was hard to start but it ran ok. Already at this point, it didn't sound good. I put on a new filter and filled it with diesel fuel. That cleaned it real well then I put more oil in. After some idling/revving, I changed it again. It looks pretty good now but I'm afraid the ol' gal won't pull through this one. I rode it and the engine is a lot louder than before. Sounds like a rod knock. It even seems to idle higher?

I can hardly believe that just one dunk in the water could destroy this engine. It doesn't smoke and it is still powerful, but I think it has some heavy wear. What's my next step?

Old 04-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

the same thing has happened to my sportsman. i pulled the plug, drained the air box & fuel bowl. started it & let it run with the air box lid off for a bit, changed the oil & filter & it's good as new. i have never heard of runnin' diesel to clean one out. this could be your problem.

Old 04-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

I think it has a bent rod from being hydrolocked. I don't remember hitting the starter but it could have happened by accident when picking it up or trying to catch it. It might have also bent by getting water in it with the engine still turning. It has a fairly serious sounding knock that changes as the RPMs change. The way it looks now, my insurance is going to take care of it with a $250 deductable. I'll let you know how that goes.

Old 04-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Diesel is great for removeing water. No prob there.

good you had insurance!!!!

Hydrolic lock is a real engine killer,,,,,,,,everything will need to be replaced. I have had this problem on jet skis. It really racks your whole engine when the piston tries to compress water,,,ouch.

good luck

Old 04-30-2003, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Bing, what all needs to be replaced? I talked to the insurance company and it's no problem. I'm taking it to the dealer for an estimate on Friday. Any guesses as to what it will cost?

Old 04-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I would think new bearings, camshaft, rod, piston, and probably valves should be replaced just to be sure you get it all right. What do you think Bing? I have seen drowned jet skis before also and no it isn't pretty.