Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

High Pitch Ting on deacceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pitch Ting on deacceleration

on my 92 trailboss when I let off the gas it tings down once then then makes a really loud constant ting. Once I hit the gas it goes away. I am not sure what to do any more. Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

This means your engine is running lean and will soon self destruct unless you find out what is causing it. You could have an airleak somewhere, clogged carb, fuel filter,etc. Or you could just be jetted too lean for your conditions. Tell us a little more about the set-up of your bike, is it stock? Air filter stock? How many miles on the engine. Has it been rebuilt? Have you done a compression test? ETC.

Old 04-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to add to my prior post that carbon build up can also cause this condition along with incorrect or poor quality fuel. A spark plug with the wrong heat range can also cause it to happen. What you are hearing is detonation and it will destroy a motor quickly.

Old 05-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

Well this is its third rebuild but its only .10 over so it not much no other mods done I have currently redone almost all of it. The gas is being mixed at the moment I am still on that first tank after rebuild. Do I need to adjust the Air mixture screw or needle. Now i am scared if that blows again she is in the trash Polaris rebuilt it twice I and I did it this time. So what to do now. I couldnt even tell you how many miles it has compression was 90 on a normal crank but then I put a little oil in the cylinder and it was 127. I run Polaris oil And I am really good at fixing things but this one has got me good. Rebuilt the carb. New air filter. JUST STUCK[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2003, 01:36 PM
CED
Pro Rider

You definitely need to do some plug checks.When you hear that ting that you describe you need to immediately shut the engine and check your plug.That should give you some indication of whats happening.Then do a check at 1/4,1/2,and full throttle.Let us know what you find Hope this helps.Later.

Old 05-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

If your compression is only 90 and it raises with oil added, your rings are not sealing properly for some reason. They may not have seated good yet, so I would test compression again after a few more miles or so. Your carb should be set-up pretty close to factory specs, a .10 overbore shouldn't make a heck of alot of difference.