Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 HO front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bullmoose
Scram,
I had the same problem with soft front suspension on my 500HO, even before adding the winch and plow. It bottomed out easily and was generally mush.
I ordered the Polaris heavy duty springs but was very disapointed. They were stiffer, but almost an inch shorter. The front end sagged worse than before and the ride became harsh. Waste of money.
The best fix would be a preload adjustment like the rear, but I have had excellent results from my $2 solution:
-Take 2 hockey pucks and drill 2 1/8" inch holes through centers. The hole saw for door ***** is this size.
-Cut two lengths of 2" diameter plastic tubing about 2 inches long. Slit each piece lengthways.
-remove front springs
-Use the pucks as spring preload spacers under each spring. The short lengths of tubing slide over the shock and into the hole in the puck. This keeps the spring centered and protects it from wearing against the shock. Keep the stock large washer under the puck.
-Re-install springs. You might need to compress the springs a bit to install top nuts.
After this fix my 500HO measured 1 1/4 inches higher at the front bumper and added ground clearance too. More importantly, the front end rarely bottoms and the plush ride has been maintained. The steering and handling seem better.
Since you're from Quebec, I know you will have a few pucks around anyways.
I just did this it makes an amazing difference!! Stops the diving into the corner, lifts the bike, and does not affect the ride quality much, if any? I would however suggest using spring compressors, not so much for taking it apart but ease of re-installation...

THANKS....

Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long post for a simple fix, I have a heavy aftermarket bumper plus winch. Bought HD springs (Polaris brand) 6 years ago.
Sagging front end problem is a distance memory .