Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 HO front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 HO front suspension

hi everybody,

My old man got a 2001 sprtsman 500 HO, he added the big bumper and the winch and is suspension now is way too soft, is there a way to get some aftermarket parts to fit overs the spring to make it harder ? or maybe stronger springs !!

please let me know

Old 05-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

polaris has heavy duty springs available that are the same as the ones on thier ranger series (roughly $35.00 per spring ) . progressive also sells a kit that makes your struts adjustable ( roughly $150.00 for the kit )

Old 05-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

anybody knows a web site where i can order these kind of parts ( polaris shocks or that progressive's kit)

thanks a lot

Old 05-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

test

Old 05-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

Scram,
I had the same problem with soft front suspension on my 500HO, even before adding the winch and plow. It bottomed out easily and was generally mush.
I ordered the Polaris heavy duty springs but was very disapointed. They were stiffer, but almost an inch shorter. The front end sagged worse than before and the ride became harsh. Waste of money.
The best fix would be a preload adjustment like the rear, but I have had excellent results from my $2 solution:
-Take 2 hockey pucks and drill 1 7/8 inch holes through centers. The hole saw for door ***** is this size.
-Cut two lengths of 2" diameter plastic tubing about 2 inches long. Slit each piece lengthways.
-remove front springs
-Use the pucks as spring preload spacers under each spring. The short lengths of tubing slide over the shock and into the hole in the puck. This keeps the spring centered and protects it from wearing against the shock. Keep the stock large washer under the puck.
-Re-install springs. You might need to compress the springs a bit to install top nuts.
After this fix my 500HO measured 1 1/4 inches higher at the front bumper and added ground clearance too. More importantly, the front end rarely bottoms and the plush ride has been maintained. The steering and handling seem better.
Since you're from Quebec, I know you will have a few pucks around anyways.

Old 05-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

:-) sure i have enough pucks to set many sportsman up !!!

sure sounds like a great idea, i heard about guys raising their muscle cars with hockey pucks, so , why not an atv !!!

i just don't follow you with the pieces of rubber tubings ??? would you explain it more in details?

thanks a lot

Old 05-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

I used the 6x6 springs from Polaris. They raised it, ride better, and it don't sag none. 01 Sportsman 500

Old 05-08-2003, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer

Scram,
First my apologies. The hole size for the pucks is 2 1/8", not 1 7/8. I went out to the garage to measure some of the pipe and realized my mistake. A smaller hole in the puck will not slide over the shock.
The tubing is 2" diameter plastic pipe typically used for central vacuum installation. ABS or PVC plumbing pipe has thicker walls but could be made to fit. The slit is to allow it to open up as you slide it over the wider top portion of the shock.
With the stock setup, the bottom of the spring is centered by tabs on the shock. The hockey puck covers these tabs, so I used the plastic pipe as an extension of the tabs. Without the plastic pipe I think the spring would rub on the shock. Might not be a big deal.
I hope this helps. If this is still muddy, let me know. I try posting a few photos. Haven't tried that before so nows a good time to learn.
Another tip if you don't have a spring compresser: Get your buddy to sit on the front rack and compress the springs a couple of inches. Then use 3 or 4 heavy duty plastic tie straps (the kind electicians use) to tie each coil compressed. I guess wire or even string could also work. Now you can dismantle and remove springs for adding pucks. Replace springs, secure with top nuts etc., and cut tie straps. Worked great for me.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer

OK !!!

i got you now ! at the 1st time i thought you had to put the two pieces of pipes on the same shock.... it's one for each shock !!!

thanks a lot... i guess you made us save few bucks :-) we'll do it this week-end.

see ya !

Old 05-08-2003, 09:56 AM
Range Rover

Polaris already has a fix for this, and I have been using them for years.
Go to the local polaris dealer, and Polaris makes a rubber slotted piece of rubber that slips around you front coil springs.
I have been using it because the snowplow blade makes the front end dip.
I just thread these things onto the coils ( they are groved top and bottom) and slide around the coil......

Neat idea and are easly installed or removed in seconds, they are black in color.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 500 HO front suspension