Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP700 Front Differential

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP700 Front Differential

I have a 2002 SP700, and recently I've been experiencing a strange noise coming from what sounds to be the front left wheel/tire/axle area. I know it's difficult to describe sounds over the internet, but the noise sounds exactly like a rock or branch caught up in the tire, and then being thrown around in the fender area for a second, and then it goes away. This noise is not consistent, meaning that it only happens occasionally, with no rhyme or reason. I have examined everything under the bike in the wheel, brake, and axle area to see if there was a stick or rock caught in the wheel assembly. There's nothing stuck or loose that could occasionally be hitting any moving parts to make this noise.

Then, I started wondering if maybe there was something broken in the differential that could be making these sounds. As I said, it does not sound as if it is coming from underneath the bike, but rather it seems to be located in the leftmost part of the front end. I did notice that the U-joints (not the joints themselves, but the yoke that comes out of the differential) extending from both sides of the differential will move up and down and side-to-side slightly if "wiggled", which furthered my fears that something may be broken inside the diff.

Could someone with a 600 or 700 test their front differential to see if there is any appreciable motion when the U-joint yokes are moved? Any other suggestions or experiences with this type of problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

ok buddy, first there is no differential in the front end, so that is no way the problem, if i was you jack up the front end and seen if the wheel will turn by hand and if it still makes the noise, if the wheel is hard to turn take it to the dealer you got problems

Old 05-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Range Rover

Technically it does not have a front "differential" as the last person stated; however there are still plenty of moving parts in there. Just look here. If I'm not mistaken, some of the 02 700's did have a problem with some plastic piece in the front gearcase breaking. I think they repalce it with a metal one when repairing it. I'm not sure which piece it is, but I bet it's in that picture. Search some of the other forums and I'll bet you'll find it.

Old 05-05-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Low fluid can also cause some very strange noises. Check your fluid level and see if it is low.

Old 05-05-2003, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, my mistake. I should not have used the term "differential" because there's not one, as such. At any rate, the machine only has about 30 hours on it, so unless they forgot to fill up the gearcase during the build, it's not low on fluid (no leaks anywhere). I'll check to be sure.

As for jacking it up and turning the wheels, I will try that, but I don't think it will cause it to make the noise since it is so seldom that the noise occurs.

Did anyone try to wiggle the output shafts of the gearcase to see if there was any play?

Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

The driveshafts will have a slight amount of play in them as it is normal. Are you sure it is not the clutch?? The 700's are known for a clunking noise at low throttle. If that is what you are hearing, it is the clutches and it is very normal. If you think that is what it is tell me and I can get technical as to why it makes that noise. I would still check the fluid even though it is new. I have heard of people having new atv's and not much oil be in the tranny and it get trashed soon, so just check to be safe.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Range Rover

Here is a thread that mentions the problem. 700

Old 05-06-2003, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input. NC, I know it's not the clutch noise you were describing because I was aware of that, and it is a separate noise than that of the clutch. However, now that you mention it, at one time I did wonder if maybe a piece of debris had gotten into the clutch housing and was getting "stirred up" and thrown around the housing occasionally by the spinning clutch. I've listened very closely, and I think I've ruled that out. While I'm taking apart the rest of the left side of the bike, I might as well open the clutch cover as well, right? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I don't think we're talking about the same thing when you mention "driveshafts". I'm talking about the U-joint yokes that fit onto the splined shafts of the gearcase itself, not the U-joints, or axle shafts as a whole. Also, the movement that I'm referring to is a front-to-back or up-and-down movement, not in and out of the gearcase. Perhaps the movement mine has is normal, but I was surprised that there would be any play in it in these directions. There isn't any free play of this type where the input shaft enters the case, so I assumed there wouldn't be in the two output shafts, either.

Whenever this "problem" decides to occur, it sounds like "dammit" - just like a large stick has gotten caught up in the wheel or brake assembly and is being thrashed around under the fender for a few revolutions of the tire. Then, just as quickly as it comes, it goes. On average, I'd say it occurs every couple of miles of riding, and there's no particular type of riding that seems to make it happen more or less frequently. Two or four-wheel, open road or trail, mud, water, rocks, etc. It just "happens".

Thanks for all the input!

-Mark

Old 05-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Yeh, I was talking about the same thing with the slop in the gearcase or how you explained it, I just didn't use the correct terminology. From what I have heard a little play there is normal. The sound of the clutches is normal also, here is what the sound you hear is coming from.
On a non ebs secondary,the TORSION spring always keeps the SLIDE BUTTON in contact with the helix ramp cut. The primary clutch has a SMOOTH smaller hub .The belt is operated with more deflection.
On a EBS secondary,the COMPRESSION only spring,has only side force,and not torsion.The ROLLER is in contact with the helix ramp cut on the way down(upshift),and on the back cut side of the helix on backshift,or on any decelleration. At low speed on and off the gas the EBS secondary rotates it's sheaves back and forth as the roller moves back and forth in the helix notch .THIS is the annoying low speed CLUNK that a lot of Polaris riders (myself included)know very well. The belt is supposed to be tight on this system to keep close contact on the sprague of the primary clutch(notice the larger hub with grooves in the EBS primary) This CLUNK noise is more noticable on 600SP-700SP because of the two crown and pinion gears exagerate the clunk as compared to the chain drive case on a 500ho.Polaris used a straight up back cut on the engine brake side of the helix to shorten the distance that the roller(and sheave)travel on the 600-700 to help lessen the clunk on deceleration. Hope this may help to explain the differences.
I don't really have any other idea's about the other noise you are hearing. My book says for gearcase noise, if that is where it is coming from, is caused by: Worn bearings or shafts, gears worn or chipped, metal chips jammed in teeth, oil level too low.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer

I had a bent a-arm on my sportsman. I had hit something and it bent the a-arm and the a-arm guard. When I replaced the a-arm and took it for a test drive I had a really bad clunking sound that would only happen once in a while. I figured it out that it only happened when I turned right. What I found out was that there are wieghts on the inside of the rim to balance the tire and when I was turning to the right the wieghts on the rim were rubbing against the plastic a-arm guard and was making the really bad clunking sound that sounded like a branch or something under the fender.

Quick Reply: SP700 Front Differential