Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Info on winch brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006 | 11:42 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Info on winch brakes

Could someone explain what the difference is between Dynamic and Mechanical brakes are? Not only that, but wether one is harder on the cable or motor than the other. What would be instances where a mechanical brake would be of use?

Old 02-10-2006 | 10:30 AM
|
Range Rover

Anyone know the difference or practical use on this?

Old 02-10-2006 | 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

WINCH BRAKING, DYNAMIC AND MECHANICAL

There are two types of brakes commonly used on ATV winches. Most all Warn ATV winches come standard with “Dynamic Braking”. This is a resistance type of brake that is created by the winch motor. This type of brake should hold approximately 500 pounds. If your ATV rolls back on steep inclines, you may want to check your winch controls for proper working order and/or add a mechanical brake to your winch. The mechanical brake is a friction type that is normally optional and is easy to install. The two brakes combined will normally create enough braking energy to be equivalent to the capacity of the winch.

I copy/pasted that from the FAQ section at the Montana Jack's website. Obviously dynamic braking is harder on the winch motor because it is providing the braking force.

Old 02-10-2006 | 09:32 PM
|
Range Rover

Thanks for finding that info. I also finally found what the Warn mechanical brake looks like, and it is not what I imagined it to be. But it does sound like I would feel more comfortable with the mechanical brake. Think I'll get the Warn 3.0ce winch.

Old Today | 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

For anyone still trying to figure out the difference between dynamic and mechanical brakes on winches, here’s a quick breakdown. Dynamic brakes use the motor itself to hold the load, which works great for lighter loads but can put some strain on the motor over time. If you’re doing more demanding pulls or worried about slippage, a mechanical brake adds extra stopping power by using friction to hold the load steady.

If you're regularly pulling on steep inclines or carrying heavier loads, combining both types of brakes can give you better control and peace of mind. Either way, it’s good to understand what you’re getting with each setup, especially if you're planning serious off-road work.