Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Noob help 400HO not starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noob help 400HO not starting

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the naive questions/statements but this is my quad and now attempt at fixing something like this.

I have a 2013 400HO with only 200km on it.

It has run fine for the last month that I've owned it without any problems at all.

Yesterday, it has trouble starting in that when I turned the key it took quite a few tries to get the engine to turn over and start. I used the choke full and then halfway and it started. It is still cold where I am (Northern Alberta) so I figured it had to do with the cold weather.

Today, I was an hour deep in the bush and when trying to start my quad it just wouldn't turn over. I tried the choke still nothing. At one point a small puff of smoke came up from the main area under the headlight.

I was able to get my buddy to tow me back to town so my winch worked so I dont think its the battery (have it on a trickle charger now to rule that out).

Could that smoke be from a fuse? solenoid? spark plug?

Sorry for the noob question and greatly appreciate all your help! I am stuck in the bush for another few weeks until the peace river breaks up and we can get back across so hoping to do repairs my(inexperienced)self until I could get it out to a proper mechanic.

Cheers guys

Old 04-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Think I'd check where that puff of smoke came from. Probably the Delphi fuse block as they were bad about pins corroding and wires shorting against one another. Take the block up and look underneath. If you need a new one they are cheap on ebay.PER-080&029&036-4 ATO / ATC Delphi Fuse Block Panel 4 Gang 12 V Blade Style Fuse | eBay or you could find a better water resistant block.Not a bad idea to check that it's charging ok(once you get it running) and load test the battery also. If it drops lower than 9.5-10 volts under a starting load,time to replace it.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you for your help! I checked the fuses and they look fine (not sure where the spares are kept - manual says "under access door" which I cant find.

I am trying to figure out how to take out the sparkplug.

This is what it sounds like

Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One you get the plug out,lay the plug against the cylinder and check for spark. If you don't have spark,you need the trouble shooting guides from the manual and ignition tests.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....500-forest-atv

Old 04-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
One you get the plug out,lay the plug against the cylinder and check for spark. If you don't have spark,you need the trouble shooting guides from the manual and ignition tests.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....500-forest-atv
Thanks for your help! Can you explain what you mean by "lay the plug against the cylinder and check for spark." Sorry for the naive question - I dont have much mechanical experience but I'm eager to try/learn!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just have the plug in the boot and lay it against the cylinder. When you crank the engine over there should be spark if the ignition system is ok. No spark,you'll need to find out the problem.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just have the plug in the boot and lay it against the cylinder. When you crank the engine over there should be spark if the ignition system is ok. No spark,you'll need to find out the problem.
Thank you! If I get no spark I'll try the spare spark plug I have and let you know. Thanks so much for walking me through all this!

Old 04-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

Just tested spark plug and no spark. I found this frayed cable. Does anyone know what it does?

Old 04-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

FOund this broken wire: https://postimg.org/image/tzeoir59z/

also Just came across this post, any idea how I would get that fuse out to check? No Spark,but cranks.2012 400 sportsman Carb - Polaris ATV Forum

Old 04-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Discussed this already. The more posts you make on the same subject in different areas,the more confusing it can be.