Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2017 Quad Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Quad Start Problem

Neighbor has a 2017 Polaris 570 with only 90 hours that will start one day and not the next. Hauled in to the dealer and they installed a new switch. Got it back out here and it continued to do the same thing so hauled it back in. They had it for a week and could not find the issue so we brought it back out unfixed. While loading it up at the dealer another quad the same year came in with the exact same problem.

We live in remote Idaho so the quad is vital especially during the winter months so I was was wondering if any of you Polaris owners and experts have gone through this and if so is there a solution?

Appreciate any responses.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the dealer already knows what's going on or even Polaris,give em a call. May save waiting around for a tech bulletin as to what's going on.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Range Rover

Yeah the dealer here knows what is going on with the quad but they don't know why it does what it does. While they had the quad in their shop it failed to start multiple times said the mechanic and could not find the cause. I'm thinking it might be in some of the stupid safety stuff like having to apply the brake to start and having it in park. All of those things could have issues and they are not necessary on working quads just a nuisance! Blows my mind that a qualified Polaris mechanic with all the tool at his disposal can't pin the problem in the week that they fooled with it.

The owner is desperate and when he runs on errands or whatever on his ranch he's scared to shut it down. Any ideas would be helpful. Was hoping someone may have had the same issues and found the faulty part.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's an intermittent problem even Digital Wrench may not be able to catch it.The more complicated they make these machine some times it's harder to find the gremlins.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:37 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for your response. Most of the ranches out here run Polaris quads and I'm hearing the same thing they are falling apart. Suspension problems frames cracking electrical problems and none of these people beat the machines they are just a tool.

I'm due for a new quad and now I think the CanAm is where I will go. It would be great if one of these company's would build a working quad. Take all the safety crap off it. Get the winches up out of the snow build a snow plow that can rotate up far enough to be above the bottom of the quad so you can run in deep snow. A reverse override button that you can lock in. I could go on and on.

Well I know the dealer personally so maybe we will get an answer soon.

Again thanks for your response.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by kcebcj
It would be great if one of these company's would build a working quad. Take all the safety crap off it. Get the winches up out of the snow build a snow plow that can rotate up far enough to be above the bottom of the quad so you can run in deep snow. A reverse override button that you can lock in. I could go on and on.
What comes to mind reading this is that you're describing one of these. Moves snow,dirt,even blaze your own trails.Not to much fun riding trails with the guys though.. Plus if on a tight budget,I'm sure there are some junkers like this Yugo that could save wear and tear on that new atv you're going to get.. Plus don't wish for snow to hit us down here. One inch of snow or ice and life would come to stand still for us southern guys..

Attached Thumbnails 2017 Quad Start Problem-bobcat-s70_with_bucket-206230-127353-hr.jpeg   2017 Quad Start Problem-micro-snow-plow.jpg  
Old 12-27-2017, 08:31 PM
Range Rover

Here is what I was talking about when complaining about the placement of winches on the new quads. This is a 2007 Polaris 500 with the winch mounted high. With that you are able to get the plow up out of the snow so you can run up in deep snow and plow downhill. That is a custom built plow by me.

Skidsters and tractors are to slow but handy if wind storms really drift the trails. Back to my original post look at the country. What do you do when the quad does not start and you are 5 miles from the ranch and Polaris can't figure out why.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 Quad Start Problem-dscn1041.jpg  
Old 12-27-2017, 11:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I was talking about when complaining about the placement of winches on the new quads. This is a 2007 Polaris 500 with the winch mounted high. With that you are able to get the plow up out of the snow so you can run up in deep snow and plow downhill. That is a custom built plow by me.

Skidsters and tractors are to slow but handy if wind storms really drift the trails. Back to my original post look at the country. What do you do when the quad does not start and you are 5 miles from the ranch and Polaris can't figure out why.
When they had the winches mounted higher that meant the radiator was lower and a lot more likely to get plugged with mud than when it's mounted above the winch. It seems most people were glad they changed it.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neighbor has a 2017 Polaris 570 with only 90 hours that will start one day and not the next. Hauled in to the dealer and they installed a new switch. Got it back out here and it continued to do the same thing so hauled it back in. They had it for a week and could not find the issue so we brought it back out unfixed. While loading it up at the dealer another quad the same year came in with the exact same problem.

We live in remote Idaho so the quad is vital especially during the winter months so I was was wondering if any of you Polaris owners and experts have gone through this and if so is there a solution?

Appreciate any responses.
When it fails is it cranking but not firing ?

Not cranking over at all ?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

We live in remote Idaho so the quad is vital especially during the winter months
With the extreme cold conditions you fellas have to go through do you keep the batteries on tenders to at least to give these things a fighting chance to start? Plus don't think it's changed much over the years but don't give any throttle at all while trying to crank one up.The ecu is already in a "waste fuel,retard spark" mode when it's ice cold until it receives input from the sensors then it adjusts fuel,air,spark,etc.Just a thought.

Quick Reply: 2017 Quad Start Problem