Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 Scrambler AWD Coil Sleeve Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Scrambler AWD Coil Sleeve Removal

Does anyone know how to remove the coil sleeve without damaging it or do I need to buy a new one ? Whats the best way to remove ? Mine is in good shape, I heated it hoping to loosen up the loctite and hit it round the edge with a punch and it wont budge ?!?!

Old 02-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the seal sleeve is the only thing damaged and the coil is ok,you can try a spedi sleeve that recent poster used to stop his hub seal from leaking because it was grooved up. Same thing that some one posted back in 2012 on another forum. This may help as the kit comes with the sleeve and pusher that installs it over the existing sleeve.Here's his post on this.
"I thought I would throw this out there for some of you.
Polaris front hubs often develop a leak and won't hold oil after a while. Upon inspection you may find the seal has cut a groove in the sleeve that covers the AWD coil. These are RTV'd in place and usually destroy the coil when trying to replace the sleeve.
I found a "Speedy Sleeve" that will fit right over the stock sleeve and fix the problem. They come with a driver cup that you will need to drill a hole in the center of to go over the axel stub so you don't have to remove it for installation.
If in the future they leak again, the speedy sleeve can be peeled off and replaced with out damaging the OEM sleeve.
Also the sleeve slightly increases the diameter of the seal surface by about .010 and if the seal is in good shape it can be reused.
Part number is 99262 in SKF and is the same in several other lines. Cost is $30.00-$50.00 which is cheaper than new coils and lots easier to install.
Avaiable at O'Riley, NAPA and other parts houses.
Hopefully this will be usefull to someone." Plus to answer your question,I don't think I was ever able to save a coil as they're usually siliconed in and I'd crack em every time I removed the sleeve.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:10 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SKF Speedi-Sleeve here -> SKF Speedi-Sleeve

YouTube has videos of how to install them on some things, but I haven't watched any of them.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer

My coil is shot, I have a new one to install, but I'm looking for how to remove the sleeve without damaging so I can re-use it, my sleeve is good.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnxtreme
My coil is shot, I have a new one to install, but I'm looking for how to remove the sleeve without damaging so I can re-use it, my sleeve is good.
DON'T reuse an old sleeve. Get a new one along with the coil and do it right... Just use a thin blade chisel and heat and work around the sleeve without gouging the strut casting if you can. Mine were never perfect,a few nicks here and there,but easily filed down for a new sleeve. The manual goes into good detail on install and clearances on the seal sleeve to the inner pole,etc. You don't say a 400 or 500 ,here's both.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/1997-Po...ce-Manual.html http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/1997-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 02-24-2018, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

Its a 500 thanks again OPT, always a big help !