1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 110 dead, wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 110 dead, wont crank

I have a Tao Tao 110 that my grandson got for Christmas last year, that wont start. First of all let me say that this ATV has been in the shop more than it has been out. Not necessarily the fault of the ATV, but a 7 year old that has "No fear" and 20 acres. Im not sure this TAO TAO was intended to be rode in this manner.

The Tao Tao 110 was being rode when it just quit in the field. I am not sure if water was involved or not. It quit. We towed it back to the shop and it was completely dead. Wouldnt turn over, no noise, nothing. My son bought a new battery that evening and put it in the next day and still nothing. The remote alarm wouldnt even work. Checked the battery and the connections, all was good with a fully charged battery. Double checked the kill switch, and lanyard on the back. I discovered it had an inline fuse which was blown. We replaced the fuse, and off he went. For 10 mins, when it quit again. Same thing dead. Replaced the fuse again, although it wasn't broken. The ATV started again, rode 10 mins and quit. Replaced fuse, no idea what is blowing the fuse. Rode probably 1/2 hour, turned off and it wouldnt start. Of course, replaced the fuse, but this time nothing again.

We started looking at wiring, and discovered that the Tao Tao wasnt designed to make trails through the woods with. The Green/yellow and black wires at the handlebar, going to the starter switch were chewed through. Looked like they rubbed while turning possibly. Repaired and taped. Found 2 or 3 wires needed pushed together under the seat. Found the red/black and black wire that goes to the alarm, hanging on by 2 wires. Repaired those and I can activate the alarm now. I did push twice to unlock to ensure that wasnt the problem. I did notice that I do have a brake light also. I checked and do not have headlights, but I dont think they work unless the ATV is running. I have 2 male plugs that are not hooked to anything in the rubber sleeve running towards the front of the bike. I am going to assume these go to options that I dont have on this bike.

We rechecked the battery and connections and everything seems good there. We replaced the fuse again (I bought a box of 100). Nothing. I removed the black/white wire from the 5 plug CDI. Nothing. I replaced the CDI box (#3 from previous water issues). Nothing. I removed, checked, and reseated the coil wires. Nothing. Grasping at straws now.

In the past we have had the bike not start but would turn over. By tapping the float we got it to start. Cleaned air filter and cleaned carb. After sitting all night, have had it start, Almost like it had to cool off. We have had it start and not turn off even when hitting the kill switch and turning the key off. Still not sure what caused that. Shut it off by unplugging the CDI box. We had to replace the starter chain. I rechecked all of the wires that we may or may not have removed to put chain on. I think I have included all of the strange stuff that has happened. Please any ideas or what steps to take next?????

Old 06-20-2018, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Another day on the TaoTao 110. I have now cut all zip ties and have been checking individual wires. Nothing so far. We did cross the solenoid and was able to roll over the machine. I do have power going into and out of solenoid per the tester. I have power at the coil. I had the green wire that is on the female end of the plug not clicked in the plug. It connects to the red, lt red, grey and green wires on the female side, which leads to the left handlebar. We have taken both handlebar assemblies off and checked that the wires are still soldered. I do NOT /can NOT light up the tester on the female side coming off the back side of the solenoid. The wire houses 2 or 3 wires. I can not tell for sure they are so tight. The tester lights at the starter connection (big red wire from solenoid) telling me I have power there. Any ideas? Help!!

Last edited by mmloth; 06-20-2018 at 03:42 PM. Reason: add information