Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1995 sportsman 400 wiring help plz

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 sportsman 400 wiring help plz

So I bought a 1995 Polaris 400 2 stroke for dirt cheap (200 bucks)

The problem is the wiring is a nightmare

First of all I don't have a manual and I can't find a free one for the life of me so I don't have any wiring diagrams.

So the wiring is completely fSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word d it its all over the place been spliced into and out of.. I don't know where to start

I'll tell you I have no power to anything no fan no lights no dash light (neutral reverse) or anything nothing no starter.. The only thing I've been able to hear an electrical sound from is the solinoid but it clicks when I touch the frame ground to the battery thats it lol and it gets VERY hot when I do that

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 09-16-2019, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

No idea why half my post says word spam? I wasent swearing

Old 09-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

OK so disregard my last post

I have a 1995 Polaris sportsman 400 4x4 2 stroke

It's a wiring night mare no power to anything on the atv wirings all messed up I can't find a diagram or anything online for free

It still starts with the pull cord and runs but that's it no fan no 4x4 no lights no lights on the dash nothing battery's good I promise it's a major wiring malfuction and not a battery problem I've already done the simple stuff new ignition new battery I'm lost

Old 09-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the manual you can download for free.

https://thequadconnection.com/polari...ls_1120.0.html

I have this manual and the wiring diagram has proven to be accurate for my 1995 Xplorer.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks that helps a little bit but what I'm really after is the terminal board wiring diagram I can't get none of the electrical to work together trying to get dash lights on and trying to make ignition key work everything was unplugged so I'm starting from scratch basically

Old 09-18-2019, 05:43 PM
Range Rover

The terminal board should be labeled with color codes. I am guessing that the terminal board is unreadable on your atv for the color codes that you need. If that is true you can purchase a brand new board (#4040056) for $21 plus shipping from Partzilla. See attached pic and look for part number 34. Obviously call them first to confirm this is the correct part number for what you're trying to replace. Note: The terminal board is riveted onto the ATV so if you replace the board you will either have rivet it on or use bolts and nuts to hold it in place.

Or you can look on ebay for this exact board and see if the pics are good enough to relabel the color coding on your board.

Once you have reestablished the color code on the terminal board then the schematic on page 8-81 of the manual shows you where every wire should go. Just match the colors.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by pigseye; 09-18-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added note about riveting terminal board and added schematic
Old 09-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

There's no terminal board in that schematic?

Old 09-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

Correct. There is no terminal board in the schematic by design. You don't need a terminal board in the schematic because it is color coded. You match the color of the wires to the connector blocks on the terminal board based on the color code.

Examples:
If you have a loose red wire you look for the connector block on the terminal board that is labeled "R" then connect that wire to that block.
If you have a loose black wire you look for the connector block on the terminal board that is labeled "BLK" then connect that wire to that block.
If your wire has two colors like mostly red with a yellow stripe, you look for the connector block that is labeled "R/Y" and connect that wire to that block.

Here is the color code section from the schematic for the 1995 Polaris Sportsman.

Again, if you can't read the labels on the terminal board then you need to purchase another board for $22 plus shipping as mentioned above or find a picture of your board on the internet and copy the color code labels to your terminal board.

Here is a picture of a 1995 Polaris Sportsman Terminal Board from ebay that has been annotated. Each individual connector block gets the wires that are color coded for that block. I've annotated three examples for purple, red and brown wires. Just use the labels above to decipher the colors on your terminal board and then connect the appropriate wires to the appropriate blocks. You will notice that the biggest connector block is labeled "BRN" (Brown) this is so big because it is the ground for the ATV and many electrical circuits will end on this block.

Now a couple of caveats:
1) If your atv has an aftermarket ignition switch then sometimes one of the wires will not be the correct color. On my 1995 Xplorer the previous owner installed an aftermarket ignition switch. I recall that two of the wires were the correct color but one wire was not. But by process of elimination I figured out which connector block it had to go to.

2) If you are color blind then you are going to need to find someone to help you. Most men who have colorblindness generally a lot of difficulty with just red and greens, but some people can barely see any color. So if you are color blind, find a friend who can see colors easily.

If after all this you still can't figure it out I recommend bringing it to a dealer or reputable repair tech. It will not end well if you just start guessing which wires go where.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Old 09-18-2019, 09:50 PM
Range Rover

Here is the ebay link for the terminal board shown in the picture above. There are more pictures on the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Polari...ty!54082!US!-1

Old 09-18-2019, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

Wow I can't thank you enough you went above and beyond doing all that awesome help
My ignition is after market the one changed wire is supposed to red with white stripe I belive but instead on the after market one its red with black stripe

And one question on the terminal board it says

Red with red

What would that wire look like I've never seen a red on red wire

Quick Reply: 1995 sportsman 400 wiring help plz