Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Ds250r

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ds250r

Well there is no "R" version so Im making one!
They have a good solid build but heavy and very underpowered the up side is water cooling and a 4 valve head this means it should rip but not as it is, I have had mine for a year and its road legal so i go to work and back and blast lanes on my off days so a lot of saddle time (6,000+ Km) so with that I would like to list what I have done.

Brakes.
Un-needed complex system, so I have striped out the LH master and 2 sub master systems, and run it like a normal bike with a duel line from master to front calipers and single line from from rear brake masted to caliper, It's fairly good and less weight.

Exhaust.
Way to small! the port is about 29mm, STD exhaust 24mm ID so very choked down, I made a custom exhaust very much the same as standard but 29mm ID and custom slip on (I have a mate who makes them!) also striped out air system, only do this if allowed! there is not much gain doing this but less poping and a bit sweeter running with this out and blanked.

Carb.
This was a hard one trying to find something simple (like the factory carb) that works. I went with a Nibbi PE28FL carb it bolts strait to the isolator/intake, some matching is needed the port on this side is also 29mm and the carb is the same with a 28mm venturi and about a 50mm bellmouth, custom cable and some work on the throttle lever to gain extra length in the pull, I run this with a STD needle from the kit, 35 pilot and 165 main its fairly good a bit lean at top so some more testing needed.

Airbox.
Again I reached its limit early on and had to go custom with a silicone 48mm ID connector pipe to a custom "can type filter house" built around the original filter fitted with a twin air foam scree, its a hell of a lot better and I still can wade water with no problems.

CVT.
Did not do a thing I feel the main problem is engine breathing the CVT is good and has taken the extra power with no problem.

Gearing.
16-38 at the moment yet to try a 17 up front as I still top out around 53-55 mph

So over all it pulls hard right up to full shift out and beyond with a little more rpm on top for over run, climbs hills with ease and feel like a very different machine much more like a sporting 250 its so worth unlocking that engine.

Old 06-09-2024, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default just some pic's

Sorry only got little pic's just yet.

Old 07-05-2024, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just an update, odd noise on a rideout, from CVT drive, so gave it a strip down the next day, kind of knew things were due for replacement and yeah the belt had held up well enough but had stripped 2 teeth so ordered one oem and one gates, original is a mitsuboshi / SYM unit, and gates is USA so should be good will keep it as spare for now, also noted that the weights have super thin walls so very light maybe 12.5 g ? looked overall original in there so I wonder if the uk model came from factory like that? cant say for sure. So i'm doing a few break in runs then off for a rip on the morro.