Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Accessory Wiring Advice

Search this Thread

Old Today, 05:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory Wiring Advice

Hello. I'm a newbie to ATVs but like to try working on things as much as I can by myself. these questions may sound simple or dumb to many I'm sure. Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to help.

I have a 2024 Kodiak 450. Adding a Moose heated hand grip accessory. I have two questions.

1. I have a 5km-86171-00-00 wire lead. It is a lead that has two positive ends to add two accessories. The other end has two white connectors with each having a positive and negative wire. I found the accessory connector on the machine near the handle bars. My question is: If one white end of the wire lead goes into the accessory connector, where does the other one connect to? Picture attached.

2. The ground wire is short on the heated grips. It says to not ground to frame. The battery is in the back of the machine. There are two large free-hanging wires, black and red, with capped ends that you can put over a bolt just in front of the coolant reservoir. They seem to be the same large gauge wires that come directly from the battery. Maybe for a winch, not sure. CAN I EXTEND THE GROUND WIRE FROM THE HEATER GRIP TO THE FREE BLACK GROUND WIRE BY RESERVOIR rather than running a wire all the way back to the battery?