Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Maxis Razr VS. Stock Dunlops. READ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxis Razr VS. Stock Dunlops. READ...

yes the stock tires are great in snow. But dont get them in dirt. The reason there so easy in snow is how light they are being 2ply tires. Dont get the stocks around rocks.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't really call the razr's POS because they're no good in snow.I doubt this is what they were designed for.I swapped my dunlops off of my Warrior for a set of Razr's last summer and the difference in handling and traction was unbelievable.

Old 01-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

I think the conditions must play a huge role in these two tires performance because I'm running circles around my buddy this winter. I bought 22" razors for mud and snow and he has the stock tires. We don't have studs on either machine. (both raptors) I have had no problem in mud, snow, ice, hardpack or that 2" of slime on top of the ice when the temps have risen to 40 or 50 during the day. My buddy has all but given up riding for the winter when on the other hand I have been having a blast. Maybe it's the 22's, maybe it's the 270lbs. of ballast I've got, whatever it is, I wouldn't call my razors junk.

Old 01-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree....my Razrs arent the best......I wanna put some Maxxis Al-tracs on mine in the rear anyway but some of my friends say it would look stupid on my warrior.......but i dont get good grip with holeshots/razrs at all!!!

Old 01-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i dont have a prob with my studded razr's... my buddys stock yfz tires cant hold the studs in.. after 1 day of riding.. i bet his is missin atleast to 20-30 studs...

Old 01-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey i have razars they are a good tire on hard pack dirt but id have to say i put kenda rampage tires on my 400ex and i can make it through any thing my friend had a raptor with 4 snows on it and i make it throught more than him and my other friend on his 400ex has stock tires and they get stuck all the time and i havent got stuck yet i love them there a good tire

Old 01-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

I can believe the Dunlops are better. I run them on my Dale in the dunes. The knobbies are wider apart and let the carcas of the tire get to the surface and it lets the knobbies really grab the sand, oh I mean snow. A close pattern knobbie won't let the tire settle down in the snow or sand unless it's the whole tire sinking and the Dunlops will cleanout better...

Old 01-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

that makes sense....

Old 01-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

I don't like holeshot type tread tires like on the razr's the stock tread is better designed in my opnion.Holeshots have been manufactured since like the mid 80's.Just my opinion though.

Old 01-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

This is the reason so many types of tires exist - there is no one tire that will work best in every environment. Calling a tire a POS because it doesn't work as well as another in one situation is ignorance.

Stock radials are lightweight, hook well, and have good ride quality but sacrifice puncture protection & roll badly in the corners. RAZRs provide excellent traction characteristics and good puncture protection on the trail.

There are reasons practically every XC racer out there runs either Holeshots or RAZRs. There are reasons duners run paddles. There are reasons TT and Flattrack racers run Hoosiers or American Racers. There are reasons practically no racers run stock type tires - and it's not sponsorship, very few racers don't have to pay for their own tires.

Quick Reply: Maxis Razr VS. Stock Dunlops. READ...