Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

New Sport Quad For Me???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2000, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fakie - I had you pinned as someone much sharper than your last post suggests.

It was not my point to offend some misguided loyalty you have toward the Banshee.

Stating that frame geometry doesn't affect everyday riding is plain ignorance. If you choose to be ignorant to the fact, that's fine, but don't criticize me because of it.

Yes, the Banshee is fast, yes, it can be ridden hard. But most riders are faster, much faster, and more safe on a 250R or 400EX when ridden at the same level. To me, riding a Banshee is more work, less fun. If I exclusively rode the dunes or fire roads, I might have a different attitude - probably not though, I'd probably be riding my ATC250R or a TRX250R.

Bottom line is: fun can be had on any bike, you can ride any bike hard, some bikes will reward your efforts more than others.

Old 07-11-2000, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

gabe,

points well taken. however, i might suggest that your response post to me should have been your first post. instead of saying that frame geometry "sucks", an interpretation of how you think that translates into general riding would have been much more helpful. when someone seeks advice on a site like this, such basic statements really are not all that value-added. and besides, we all ride what we like, and we get used to frame geometry, power bands, etc. don't we? one size does not fit all...

hopefully my "ignorance" has now been diminished to some degree.

have fun.

Old 07-11-2000, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, I get your drift too, I was being a little lazy, it was 3:00 am and I was a little out of character. Probably shouldn't have been posting at all....

Old 07-11-2000, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

well at my first race in the 2 stroke class thebanshees that were there came in last and tecate-4 and 250r made it to the 2nd heat. DON'T GET A BANSHEE

Old 07-11-2000, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

perhaps you have missed the point of this guy's original post. maybe if he had asked what machine was the best mx racer in the 2-stroke class, your post would be helping him.

the banshee is a fine all-around runner once you are used to it's operating charachteristics...

Old 07-11-2000, 03:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your guaranteed more thrills on the Banshee, for sure. The acceleration is like no other quad available. And its not that bad for the track.

RoostKing...

Old 07-12-2000, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

just wait and get the RAPTOR it should smoke anything made. if you like 660cc of 4 stroke power with electric start and reverse.

Old 07-12-2000, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

hey roostking...

what made you go with the fmf pipes on your quad? i'm thinking that might be my next upgrade and i'm wondering what the fmf/silencers do for the top end and power delivery on the banshee. please advise....

fakie

Old 07-12-2000, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Let me set a few things straight. The frame geometry issue is something that few people understand. Mostly, everyone is regurgitating facts stated by biased magazine articles. Here are some facts. The Banshee's shock has less travel than a 250r or 400ex. Do not confuse this with wheel travel. A longer shock travel allows for better damping characteristics as it has a higher oil volume flow and therefore more oil to work with.
Now I will discuss the frame geometry. Very wide where the A-arms mount. This makes for a bump steer problem. many things cause bump steer. Ideally, you want your arms and your tie rods to have the exact same length, and the exact same angle. In a real world, this is not always possible. Longer travel means more problems reducing the effect of bump steer. All quads have some bump steer. The DS originally claimed to have almost 0, but we know this to be untrue.
Lastly, the rake of the frame on a Banshee is 9 degrees where a 250r is 22 degrees. This is important because when you hit a small bump at speed, the 250r's wheels will go up and back a little more than a Banshee, which gives the Banshee a harsh feeling over the small stuff.
Quality aftermarket shocks and A arms will not completely correct these problems, but will greatly improve them. The only other issue is a slightly nose heavy Banshee that you just have to adjust your riding style to. It came automatically to me.
Hope this helps you.

Old 07-12-2000, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

I just have to laugh when people say the 400ex is such a great quad. First off it ONLY has 27 hp stock! thats pathetic. That kinda power is absolutlely dangerous, because it will cause you to fall asleep from sheer boredom and crash. What was HONDA thinking? do they want to get sued again?

As for the Banshee geometry being bad. It was designed for duning and higher speed riding.

Desert racers like the Banshee geometry better because it handles better than the 250R.

87 Banshee
99 Banshee

Quick Reply: New Sport Quad For Me???