Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

yfz450 vs. raptor

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz450 vs. raptor

i am about 5'9, 130lbs. i ride mostly trails and open fields. which quad is better for me?

Old 02-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

I think the Raptor is a better trail machine.
The YFZ is a race machine that's setup for MX. It's got a hard seat not a very plush quad. So if you want to trail ride all day and things of that sort the Raptor is better.

But if you wanna race YFZ is the way to go.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Range Rover

i want the most aggresive machine. i sat on the yfz seat, and it doesn't bother me. if it's racing, it's aggresive, right?

Old 02-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

You for got a banshee, when modded it is by far the most aggressive. You'll smoke those things.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 2004LEBANSHEE
You for got a banshee, when modded it is by far the most aggressive. You'll smoke those things.
yes, i've have been thinkin about a banshee. but now i'm lookin more toward a trail quad. i'm afraid that if i get a banshee, i won't be able to keep it revved up all to time, and won't be able to ride it to it's potential. if i'm wrong about this tell me. i just thought a banshee was more of a drag quad, u never got all the potential out of it unless u had it wide open. if this is wrong, please correct me, thx.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I only ride trails. I ride with raptors, kfx400 what ever and can go as fast or faster then all of them on the trail. I put a mid range pipe got some tires and can smoke alot of the so called trail machines. Banshees come off turns faster then all of them. Plus it can handle a turn better then a raptor because it sits way lower, and it is supposed to be a great trail quad. If you learn to use the power to your advantage you can smoke all of them. But most people who have slow boreing 4 strokes dont know how to handle the power, they get on one and go thats to hard to drive then they come on here and say stupid crap about them. If you get a banshee you WILL NOT REGRET IT. When you get good on it you will smoke all you friends thats why it's still made it's fast anywhere. Don't listen to people who do not have them they ususally don't have a clue what they are talking about. Banshee makes an excelent trail quad PERIOD.

Do not make a mistake and fallow the boreing 4 stroke trend Get a SHEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or get smoked.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

But most people who have slow boreing 4 strokes dont know how to handle the power
I love my slow boring 4 stroke.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

thx lebanshee. i was initially thinkin about gittin a banshee, but everybody talked me out of it and said it was not a good trail quad. is ur quad set up for trails strictly or do u just ride it on trails. wut i mean is, did u mod with intentions of makin it a trail quad? thx for the info

Old 02-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

I had a banshee along time ago. It was the fastest thing out there(except the lt500 but you didnt see many of them). Then when the raptors came out i sold my shee and got one. I liked the raptor better because it didnt wear you down while riding all day long. The shee has a stiff thumb throttle but after a while you will get use to it. Then the yfz450 came out and i sold my rappy and got it. It was one of the best decision i ever made.

Either the 450 or rappy will be a great fourwheeler. But if you are going to get a raptor i would think about getting a z400 over the rappy because its cheaper and the raptor isnt that much faster. Good luck on your decision.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

[/quote]
thx lebanshee. i was initially thinkin about gittin a banshee, but everybody talked me out of it and said it was not a good trail quad. is ur quad set up for trails strictly or do u just ride it on trails. wut i mean is, did u mod with intentions of makin it a trail quad? thx for the info[/quote]

Put it this way if it wasn't sweet OZZY wouldn't ride it. hahhaahh. But seriously. To be honest 4 strokes aren't bad but after ridding my modded shee it gets old for me on a 4 stroke really quickly. But if you do get one get the yfz. As for the z-400 and the other 3 look a-likes. I really have nothing to say about them I feel that they are pretty slow to me. I guess there comfortable but thats not what I care about when I ride.

As for the raptor I ride one all the time and by no means is it more comfortable then the banshee that's just ridiculous. Go to the dealer and try to ride both you'll see. Pay paticular attention to high you are sitting. That will answer any question on their handeling. However the shee does have one problem and they are right, the thumb throttle is stiff. But I am used to it if you don't like it get bigger thumb button, no problem. As for what you need to do to a shee for trail. You dont need to do anything at all but if you want to bring your shee to life just get a set of low or mid range pipes and a K&N. The stock pipes on a shee REALLY suck ask anyone. The great thing is on a 2 stroke they actually do make a big improvement unlike 4 strokes where you might get a little throttle respones and a bunch of noise.

Also what I did was change the front sproket to a 15 tooth unstead of a 14 like $5. Then you can stay in gears longer and it requires less shifting if that bothers you. Do this after you get pipes so that you pull the gear. I also got the head shaved for $40, this increased the compression and gave me even more low end. Also I had the fly wheel lightened for $60 this allows it to rev much quicker, perfect for trail. If you get a shee PM me and I will give you the name of the person who did the head and fly wheel mod for me. I shipped it and got it back in a week and he does excellent work and talk to him all the time. However want you should understand is that I didn't NEED to do any of this, I could run through the trails easily stock and hang with anyone, but pipes made a huge difference everywhere.

any more questions just ask?

Quick Reply: yfz450 vs. raptor