Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

what should I get for next quad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what should I get for next quad?

I am looking at getting a new sport quad. Right now im riding an 85 suzuki lt250 with a honda Cr500 motor. I also have a 92 honda trx250x. I want a newer sport quad with electric start prefferably so that If I want to go for a quick ride or if I break something on my other quad I have a backup. I will use my lt250/500 for racing and when I want to go fast. Also I am 6 ft 260 pounds. Im back in the gym now and hope to get down to 220 or so. I ride mostly sand dunes but want something more universal cuz my lt250/500 is strictly for sand with out of frame drag pipe and extended swingarm its just not made to go on trails

option #1 Yamaha yfz450: Have ridden this quad quite a few times with pipe and cam mods. Very fast and fun quad. Slightly cramped for my size but not bad. Seat hard on the rear end after a while.

Option #2 Polaris Predator: Have ridden this one a few times, also piped and jetted. Love the power not quite as fast as the yfz450 but a little more comfortable

Option #3 Yamaha Raptor: Have ridden this quad quite a few times, also piped and jetted. Power is good but not as fast as 450. To tippy and unstable have not been very impressed with my rides so far on a raptor. I would have to change axles and a-arms and probably motor mods to this quad to be happy with it

Option #4 Honda 450: Have never ridden this quad. Main downfall to me is kickstart only. After I have to kick over my 500 I get a little tired of kickstart

Option #5 Bombardier Ds650 BajaX: Have never ridden this quad either. Love the looks and probably sized well for me.

These are the main quads im looking at now. Z400 and 400ex probably not enough power to make me happy. Im probably getting a kawasaki Vforce 700 soon cuz it is automatic and wife can ride. Will be wifes bike but Im sure Ill ride it occasionally also

Old 07-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DS all the way

Old 07-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Range Rover

I have been leaning more to the ds just havent made my mind up 100% yet

Old 07-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

definatly the ds it its a good sized quad for you

Old 07-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Range Rover

Well with the whole yfz/450R debate, the question is do you want your *** or your foot hurting? I chose the foot hurting because I plan on more riding than starting. As far as performance I believe they each have there own ups and downs but as a whole they are just about equal. The 450R is a little mroe opened up than the YFZ so you may want to go check one out if the YFZ felt a little cramped. Also Im sure someone will come out with new seat foam for the YFZ so that is something to consider as well.

I personally dont like Polaris but on that same note, I havent spent much time on one. I rode a sportsman 500 1 time about 6 months ago and it just so happened it died and wouldnt start back up so first impressions tell me to stay away even though they may be great quads.

The raptor seems to be a great quad for trails and drag racing but a little on the tipsy side. I believe it may even make a better quad for trails than the YFZ/450R because it has reverse and electric start and is also a little bigger for someone your size.

The DS650 is great quad. I just sold my '01 DS650 to get my Honda. Persoanlly if your going to the dunes it will be about the best choice out with its HUGE suspension travel and couch like seat. That thing was REAL comfy but it sucked for me because I liked trail riding and it was simply too big and no reverse sucked for someone as small as me. Also another thing that got to me was there is hardly no aftermarket compared to the yammies and hondas for the DS650.

Anyway I hope I helped a little, and I am trying to be as unbiased as possible. Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

as long as you budget a few more bills for the a-arms and axle....Raptor is the best all-around quad...imo

wont be the fastest, wont be the most comfortable, or best handling, or best mx, trail, sand, etc.....

But it will do everything, and Won't be left behind....which means, whereever you go and whoever you ride with....you will have fun and be competitive.

in addition, once you find the area of riding you like the best....the mods are there, and can be easily made into whatever you want it to do.

DS is great for open areas, but I am willing to give you a walkie talkie now...if you rode with me in the woods and on the trails...cause you wouldn't be able to make it.

I am waiting for just 1 DS650 to show up at Kisatchie forest[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] reverse is a must, for quick turnarounds at dead ends....or cliffs...or the points of no return.

Old 07-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

best bang for your $$ is the pred just look what comes stock on it

Old 07-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The predator does come with alot of aftermarket parts standard for the price you pay i got my 04TLD predator for 5,600 OTD....things the pred comes with stock are: strong rear axle chrome i might add,braided steel brake lines,douglas rims,razr tires, fox shocks,pro steering and more.

The DS is also a very nice quad i ride with (BigWaynester) from the forums, i was very impressed with the power of the DS.

Out of the quads you listed i would look into the Predator and DS buy the one that fits you and your needs the most..

BTW the 05 preds might have reverse its just rumor right now but you never know..

Good Luck

Old 07-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

the pred and ds have been the main two im debating. I have ridden the predator and really like it. It would be nice if it was a little quiker compared to the 450. The ds I love the look of the baja x and all the extras it gives you also. It does cost quite a bit but I think the accesories would be worth it. The raptor is kinda down on my list of quads. I would have to do a lot of handling changes to be happy with it and power also. Raptors just wont climb some of the dunes we have out here. i would probably have to do power mods to almost any of them but not so much with the other suspensions

Old 07-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

i dont know how much slower it can be its got more hp and no bad pop ups when u race on the street i really cant see the yfz keepin up maby in top end but never down low if u know how to drive it and i do mean on pavement

Quick Reply: what should I get for next quad?