Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

front wider or back wider?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front wider or back wider?

Is it better to have the front two wheels wider than the back, or vise versa?

Thanks

Old 02-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Boosh71
Is it better to have the front two wheels wider than the back, or vise versa?Thanks
It's better to have the front end wider than the rear...asuming everything is designed wider up front (no wheel spacers).

Old 02-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I presume you are refering to your Raptor 660's? In my opinion, the rear end of the Raptor is pathetically narrow! (Not sure what Yamaha was thinking???) A set of wheel spacers will fix that real quick.

If I owned that machine, I would widen the front also, but you are looking at a very large outlay of $$$, for a-arms and new shocks. A friend of mine turned his front rims around, for a couple of extra inches up front (not a solution I really like). That or wheel spacers up front might lead to a lot of bump-steer.

Another solution might be some wider tires and rims with a greater offset. I run ITP rims and Holeshot tires on all my big sport machines. This makes the bikes +3 in the rear and +2 up front.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

Most folks agree that it is better to have the front slightly wider. Gives better stability at high speed, and handles better in corners.
I ride mostly sand, so when I bought tires and wheels for my Raptor for the sand I got a healthy offset with wide razors up front. Then I put 1 1/2" lightweight spacers on the rear. Handles fine now, takes the feeling of high CG away.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

If I had to pick the mods between a-arm or an axle first and get the other mod later I would choose an axle over the a-arms hands down..

Old 03-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys, I think I'll get the durablue 2+2 eliminator, and have it on the plus 2 setting until I get offset wheels in the front or a-arms. What are the best a-amrs for normal riders. Is it possible to get extended a-arms and use the stock suspension?

Old 03-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

You can use the stock shocks with extended a-arms because the mounts are in the same place as the stockers, but it will be really soft compared to what it is at now.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Some A-arms utilize the stock length and travel shocks, others don't. It all depend how close to the wheel the arm manufacturer places the lower mount.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

i put just an axle on my Mojave and it pushed like a Mack dump truck then after i got front spacers it handled like rails...so I'd go with making the front wider first

Old 03-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Banshee392
If I had to pick the mods between a-arm or an axle first and get the other mod later I would choose an axle over the a-arms hands down..
I wider front end will improve handling ten times better than a wider rear end.

Buck

Quick Reply: front wider or back wider?