Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Purchasing a sport quad....advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005 | 09:16 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Purchasing a sport quad....advice needed

Hi everyone...I am new to the forum and would apprecate any advice. Currently own a Polaris Sportsman 700 and Honda Rincon. Most of our riding is on our family farm, mostly flat pasture, about 20 acres of woods and a couple small streams. Am looking to buy a new quad as we always have more riders than bikes and have got the itch to buy a sports quad. I am 40 yrs old and will be the primary rider as most of my bunch are too uncoordinated to shift gears (notice both quads we own are autos). Have looked at the 660R Raptor and an 05 TLD Predator. I'm not trying to perpetuate the ongoing battle as to which of these is the best, but am I crazy to buy either for what I need. We will not be jumping, popping wheelies, racing, etc. Just joy riding through the pastures and woods. I am afraid that this might be too much bike but am crazy about the power and looks of these machines. I guess I just want someone to tell me.....it's OK...go ahead and do it. Thanks in advance.

PS Leaning towards the Predator but just barely.

Old 07-13-2005 | 09:54 PM
Range Rover

its OK to do it =)

either of those bikes would be fine for messing around the fields and woods....just pick which one u like best and go for it

ppl might suggest other quads but the ones ur looking at will be good for what u want.....just do it =)

Old 07-13-2005 | 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

You can pick either one you want but just a heads up, the raptor is a lot easier maitinance because you an get replacement parts and performance parts a lot easier and there are many more to choose from with the raptor.

Old 07-13-2005 | 11:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Your not crazy! Either one will work just fine for what you want to do.

Old 07-15-2005 | 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I would say go with a KFX 700 or a 400 scrambler. Both these quads are decently fast and they will be much more fun/ easy to drive with what you plan on doing. Otherwise I would say raptor because I think they ride smoother. But I would look into a V-Force or a 400 scrambler if I where you. Just my $.02

Old 07-15-2005 | 09:59 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The best all-around machine out there is the Suzuki Z400! Great handling machine. A beginner can ride it, yet an experienced rider won't get bored on it either. Later when you are ready for more power, the engine hops up really well.

For me, the Raptor is tall and tippy, which makes it a poor trail bike. Never ridden the Predator, but from the reviews I have read about it, I would pass it up too.

Old 07-15-2005 | 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
The best all-around machine out there is the Suzuki Z400! Great handling machine. A beginner can ride it, yet an experienced rider won't get bored on it either. Later when you are ready for more power, the engine hops up really well.

For me, the Raptor is tall and tippy, which makes it a poor trail bike. Never ridden the Predator, but from the reviews I have read about it, I would pass it up too.
ya the same way the pred whooops right past the z400 in a race. the only thing bad about a pred is nobody gives credit were credit is due!

Old 07-19-2005 | 02:57 AM
Range Rover

Make sure you check out the Bombardier DS650 before you buy. They are big, wide and have tons of power. They are very comfortable and have the best suspension and ride you could ask for especially if you are a bigger guy. And oh yeah, they don't call them the fastest production quad for nothing.

Old 07-19-2005 | 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

georgiarover,
I'm 45 years old; trust me, sport quads are ok. I would stick with your original plan, but would also consider the new Raptor 700. The handling on the new Raptor is going to be lots better than the old Raptor, and it is fuel injected instead of dual carbs. Dual carbs are twice as much work to get jetted right as a single carb, so a Predator might just be easier maintenance than the Raptor 660, something else to consider.

And don't get a Scrambler or a KFX 700. If you want a sport quad, get a sport quad, not another belt drive wannabe sport quad. Good luck.

DV

Old 07-19-2005 | 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the raptor but i have never rode a preditor and stay away from like a z400 or kfx400 they are too tippy i personaly wouldnt buy either of those they have power but i dont like how they handle.

GO WITH THE RAPTOR you wont be disapointed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Purchasing a sport quad....advice needed