Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

raptor or ds650

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor or ds650

89exrider wrote: No airplane gear is not WV slang, i have even heard it from the pro's. Airplane gear means a tall 1st gear, you know like airplanes have. Let me simplify it for you, go's fast in first gear, geared high.

Okay, before that you wrote: The ds650 would probably get it on bottom end but the airplane gear in the raptor would get in the drag

This make no sense whatsoever. So which one is going to win here? You talk about the DS bottom end but then talk about the raptor airplane, or first, gear. So they both have good bottom end power? If airplane gear is a tall first gear, it won't mean squat once you've shifted into second, correct?

Old 02-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor or ds650

Originally posted by: 1988TRX250R
89exrider wrote: No airplane gear is not WV slang, i have even heard it from the pro's. Airplane gear means a tall 1st gear, you know like airplanes have. Let me simplify it for you, go's fast in first gear, geared high.

Okay, before that you wrote: The ds650 would probably get it on bottom end but the airplane gear in the raptor would get in the drag

This make no sense whatsoever. So which one is going to win here? You talk about the DS bottom end but then talk about the raptor airplane, or first, gear. So they both have good bottom end power? If airplane gear is a tall first gear, it won't mean squat once you've shifted into second, correct?
Quads with tall first gears dont wind out nearly as fast as one without. And it takes longer to get that (airplane) workin. By the time you hit second on the raptor the ds would probably be winding out 2nd or maybe in 3rd. And if you didnt race a long distance the quad that is geared lower would get it everytime.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor or ds650

I've been riding for a long time and have also never heard of an "airplane" gear. What the hell does having a tall first gear have to do with an airplane anyway? I also think that your gearing theory may be a hair off. Lower gearing isn't going to for sure get you the win.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default raptor or ds650

with the right rider a DS will smoke it every time. =]

Old 02-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default raptor or ds650

Funny how you same four boys all post within 20 min's of each other. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor or ds650

i have both the ds650 will get it every time ina drag race but also if you put them on the trails the ds is just a little bit 2 big and bulky for the trails so the raptor perfroms on the trails better

Old 02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default raptor or ds650

Originally posted by: 89exrider

Quads with tall first gears dont wind out nearly as fast as one without. And it takes longer to get that (airplane) workin. By the time you hit second on the raptor the ds would probably be winding out 2nd or maybe in 3rd. And if you didnt race a long distance the quad that is geared lower would get it everytime.
So the DS would win a normal drag if it is getting thru the gears quicker. But yet earlier you say the Rappy would win with it's 'airplane' gear.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor or ds650

Originally posted by: xFreebirdx
Funny how you same four boys all post within 20 min's of each other. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
so what are you saying we can't do that?? I think someone wants to run em

hit me up!!

The yfz and espeacially the DS allways ready and hungry

Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor or ds650

Originally posted by: motox26
Originally posted by: 89exrider

So the DS would win a normal drag if it is getting thru the gears quicker. But yet earlier you say the Rappy would win with it's 'airplane' gear.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
I dont think you read it right. I said airplane gears. That means a raptor is geared high. And yes if the drag is long enough the quad that is geared higher is going to go faster. But if the drag is short the quad getting to top speed faster is going to win because it takes the one thats geared higher a little longer to get to top speed.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default raptor or ds650

i remember seeing just "once it hits the air plane gear"

BEFORE YOU EDITED IT

Quick Reply: raptor or ds650