Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

about dirt bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about dirt bikes

Moto hit the nail on the head. The YZ 85 and the CRF150f are dirtbikes, not streetbikes. They are inherently geared low. The R6 and R1 are also MUCH larger engines and geared for high speed on open road. Just look up specs on the bikes you're talking about and you'll see that you just made no sense toward any argument.

Also, gearing on a bike or quad affects it's top speed. Putting on a pipe and jetting it won't make it have a faster top speed. It will just make it hit top speed quicker. More HP means reaching the limit quicker. Like I said before, if you don't beleive what we're saying, just tell your friends to race it out.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default about dirt bikes

crazy 1291 I know what I am on about . A standard on near standard 85will not hit 75 mph. BTW I never said a yz85 goes 60-65, bt that would be more like it. You would be surprised how inaccurate racing in a car is.How long was it beside it? I bet it could be anything up to 10mph off plus exaggaration.
And why would I think a R6 or R1 top out at 100mph?? Thee R1 haves over 10 times the engine capacity of a 85 plus its a 4cylinder in line.
I'm guessing your a kid from that post.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default about dirt bikes

cr85 does have a 6th gear- that increases top speed a lot

i still remember we were going around 110kmh and the cr85 passed us so we sped up- then we traded places until the 85 slowed down to turn

btw i was being sarcastic about the r1 and r6- it didnt look like you guys knew.....

i see in your signatures that none of you have ever owned a cr85- they are faster than you think- they just dont get there as fast as a 125smoker or 250

and dirtbikes are NOT safer than quads in fields with lots of bumps and ruts and stuff like that- especially on a 238lb crf230f- hate that bike- 150s and 250s much better

Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default about dirt bikes

Ok well they are going to race its going to be on one of there birthdays coming next Friday so.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default about dirt bikes

110km is approx 65mph. Well if a 85 can hit 75mph I would hate to think of the speeds I have done on my 125's (they both had 6 gears) and my 250F (which is a day and night diff between the 125). So what I never owned a 85 I still don't believe it will hit 75 with just a pipe and reeds. A pipe and reeds will make hardly any diff to top speed.

Anyway what use is top speed in mx, its skill that counts.

Overall I would say dirtbikes are safer than quads. They are easier to control in the air, are not as enclient to roll over you when you fall. Its easier to take rough ground on a Dirtbike than on a quad. The dirtbike only has 2 wheels as with the quad there is 4 so you will have a bumpier ride. Deep ruts it the only place where a quad might be safer

Old 04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default about dirt bikes

Originally posted by: emeraldisleatv
110km is approx 65mph. Well if a 85 can hit 75mph I would hate to think of the speeds I have done on my 125's (they both had 6 gears) and my 250F (which is a day and night diff between the 125). So what I never owned a 85 I still don't believe it will hit 75 with just a pipe and reeds. A pipe and reeds will make hardly any diff to top speed.

Anyway what use is top speed in mx, its skill that counts.

Overall I would say dirtbikes are safer than quads. They are easier to control in the air, are not as enclient to roll over you when you fall. Its easier to take rough ground on a Dirtbike than on a quad. The dirtbike only has 2 wheels as with the quad there is 4 so you will have a bumpier ride. Deep ruts it the only place where a quad might be safer
it could have also been regeared to go faster- that guy didnt mx competitively- and his friend has a modded660r and probably didnt want to be left behind all the time

Old 04-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default about dirt bikes

There is only so much gearing a 85 could haul. They are not the torquiest of bikes. It it was geared that high it would have had really bad acceleration and betime raptor was gone the 85 would still be trying to pick up speed.

I don't bvelieve that 85 could hit 75mph and thats my opinon.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default about dirt bikes

lets just all agree to stop posting in this thread, not forum, just this thread.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default about dirt bikes

Originally posted by: crazy1291

i see in your signatures that none of you have ever owned a cr85- they are faster than you think- they just dont get there as fast as a 125smoker or 250
You have know idea what I have owned or what I still ride with today.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

and dirtbikes are NOT safer than quads in fields with lots of bumps and ruts and stuff like that- especially on a 238lb crf230f- hate that bike- 150s and 250s much better

Wow, this post really shows your ignorance. The rougher the terrain, the better a bike will do. No argument, it's not an opinion, it's a fact to anyone that has the slight bit of experience on both.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default about dirt bikes

Originally posted by: motox26
Originally posted by: crazy1291i see in your signatures that none of you have ever owned a cr85- they are faster than you think- they just dont get there as fast as a 125smoker or 250
You have know idea what I have owned or what I still ride with today.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Wow, this post really shows your ignorance. The rougher the terrain, the better a bike will do. No argument, it's not an opinion, it's a fact to anyone that has the slight bit of experience on both.

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about!!

Only thing I can't handel to great on a bike is deep ruts. I always end up with the wheels in different ones and thats me gone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] But I see at the mx track when it cuts up bad the quads ave a hard time picking up accel but the bikes just take it in their stride and rattle along it.

Quick Reply: about dirt bikes