Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Best Sport Quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Sport Quad

I live in upstate NY. We have many groomed and well kept trails, but there are just as many mud pits, and hills with rough terrain. I have already made a decision to get a sport ATV. Now I have quite a bit of experience with ATVs, I have owned Three Wheelers, Dirt Bikes, and an ATV. So I'm sure I can handle some of the more powerful machines, because after all speed is very important to me.

There are three choices I have narrowed it down too.

1) Honda TRX700XX: I particuarly like this ATV. I like the way it looks, I like that its a Honda. Every machine I have ever owned was a Honda and they all lasted for a long time with few if no problems. Despite the negative reviews this recieved I would like to have another Honda.

2) Yamaha Raptor 700R: I have heard this is a great machine. I hear it runs good, fast, and smooth. However I have heared its a bit complicated and highly experienced quad riders only should get these. Plus moving to a brand I've never had is hard. People let me know Is Yamaha a reliable Brand?

3) Yamaha Wolverine 450: It tells me something that two Yamahas are in my top three. The Yamaha Wolverine is very interesting to me because it seems like the best of both worlds when it comes to ATVs. I like its Raptor Sport style but the real reason is the 4WD. But I need to know if its worth the smaller slower engine.

So help me decide without choosing one only because the brand name. I want evidence because buying new is an important decision I don't want to regret.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!
Default Best Sport Quad

Where you live and ride, I would look at a Can Am Renegade 500 or 800. The 500 is a much better machine than the Wolverine and it blows it away, you can only imagine how crazy fast and powerful the 800 is. I think you would be just fine going with the TRX700xx Honda as well for the type of terrain you ride and I think it would be a very reliable machine. I think the IRS would be better suited for you as well. And to answer your question about Yami's, they Suck. Just kidding, they are great machines and you couldn't go wrong with a Raptor 700. Good luck on your choices!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Best Sport Quad

I would at least take a look at the Renegades. Also, Polaris is supposed to be coming out with a new 'go fast' 4wd quad this summer, might be worth waiting for...altho there is no guarantee that it will come out or that it will rock either.

Out of those 3, Honda 700xx or Raptor 700. Just gotta decide weither you like/want/need the IRS vs SRA.

Also, maybe take a look at the Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS. Uses a KTM engine, supposed to be lots of power.

Depending what kind of dirtbikes you are used to, the Wolverine will probably feel like a slug.

-Krait

Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Best Sport Quad

i would get eather the raptor 700 or the 700xx. the only thing that would turn me away from the 700xx is it is a first year ofr this quad ad could have problems people dont know about yeat. what i like about the raptor is how much aftermarket support this quad get. i think the only thing that guys nearly the ammount of support from the aftermarket world would be the 450s (exp the yfz450 ad trx450)

Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Best Sport Quad

weve owned several first yr honda models and never had a problem out of any; the most 'risky' being a high revving 1st yr 450. 4 yrs on th 450 and no problems.

gotta admit, i did hate the 700xx as i think they should have went sra on it or made it 4x4. it just seems out of its league to directly compete with the 700R raptor. it is what it is though. it has a very proven engine and the rest is honda tested. may not be perfect but it will be reliable.

as for as a yamaha. same deal all were very reliable, good quads. would buy another in a second. im looking at a 700R myself but am considering a renegade 500 as i want a 4x4. i know thats opposite ends of the spectrum but thats sometimes how the riding can be; a versatle quad would be ideal. i just like to shift so I'M kinda hesitant with the CVT stuff.