Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

How would you properly break in a 450?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you properly break in a 450?

As some of you know I'm looking to get a new quad and have been considering a 450.I know these engines have all this new technology and crap.Also how do you adjust valves?So what would be the proper way to break in a 450.Another thing I have a friend who in the summer of 07 bought a yfz and as far as I know he does'nt do valve adjustments or change the oil,so how long before this engine takes a crap?
Thanks,Mark

Old 12-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

It won't be long until his engine is done. I know guys that have bought a quad from the showroom floor and took it straight to a 100 mile race in the desert and finished with no problems. Do I recommend this? NO!!! For about a full tanks worth of gas you want make sure that your RPMs fluctuate. It is ok to open it but don't hold the RPMs at a constant. You want to you the entire power band through every gear but do it smoothly. Try not to dump on the throttle all at once. I changed my oil and filter after 5 hours then again after 10. I call that a good break in. You also want let the motor heat up and then cool off, heat up then cool off a few times.

The TRX450 doesn't call for a valve job until about 250 hours.(according to factory) It is easy to do with the right tools.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break it in hard, otherwise the rings will never seat properly! I do monster hillclimbs, both uphill under heavy load and downhill under heavy compression braking, to seat mine:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Run petroleum oil during break-in (~10-20 hours), then switch to a sythetic like Redline MC or Maxima Extra or Ultra.

Why you need to change oil often:

http://www.belray.com/scripts/...1d7-b921-64a4cf6d0144

Some good oil reading:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

See your owner's manual for the first valve adjustment. This is all important, and do not neglect it!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder

Grip It and Rip It. WOOHOO.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

It won't be long until his engine is done. I know guys that have bought a quad from the showroom floor and took it straight to a 100 mile race in the desert and finished with no problems. Do I recommend this? NO!!! For about a full tanks worth of gas you want make sure that your RPMs fluctuate. It is ok to open it but don't hold the RPMs at a constant. You want to you the entire power band through every gear but do it smoothly. Try not to dump on the throttle all at once. I changed my oil and filter after 5 hours then again after 10. I call that a good break in. You also want let the motor heat up and then cool off, heat up then cool off a few times.

The TRX450 doesn't call for a valve job until about 250 hours.(according to factory) It is easy to do with the right tools.</end quote></div>

This is the plan I follow. Don't baby it and don't abuse it. The two oil changes it a good policy. You will undertand when you change it!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

It has always worked for me, on my 2 strokes and 4 strokes.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Red Rider

The purpose is to create high compression, so the rings get flattened against the cylinder wall and wear in. Remember, you want the rings to wear into the cylinder wall, not the wall to wear into the rings!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

The purpose is to create high compression, so the rings get flattened against the cylinder wall and wear in. Remember, you want the rings to wear into the wall, not the wall to wear into the rings!</end quote></div>

So are you saying that we are doing it wrong?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Makes sense, funny car engines last forever! LMAO! Just kidding! Let's just get this right out in the open, I am by no means a mechanic, so I won't even pretend to be an authority in this subject. I have asked many proclaimed mechanics about break in periods and their "expert" advice is all over the map! Needless to say, I am always open to a better, more informed opinion! Should we be riding them like we would normally ride them?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

The purpose is to create high compression, so the rings get flattened against the cylinder wall and wear in. Remember, you want the rings to wear into the wall, not the wall to wear into the rings!</end quote></div>

So are you saying that we are doing it wrong?</end quote></div>

Probably! You read and decide for yourself.....

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I think the most effective thing is downhilling under heavy compression braking, but of course to go downhill, you first need to go up the hill.

Quick Reply: How would you properly break in a 450?