Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

kfx 450r

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kfx 450r

does anybody have or rode a kfx 450r? if so do they have good power and torque? and hows the suspension? thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default kfx 450r

My buddy has one that I have ridden a fair bit. The machine has razor sharp steering, but it is a little quirky. Suspension is good and handling was good as well. His was bone stock though, so the "power" of a properly moded one would be hard to judge.

This motor seems to lug down a little better than the other 450's I have ridden, so it is probably the best pick for a trail quad, if you insist on trail riding a 450.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Range Rover
Default kfx 450r

yeah I would be using it for trail riding and things like that. I like that it is fuel injected also. but I don't know if I would like a 450 for trail riding. or not or if I should get a 400 for trail riding. if only honda would put fuel injection on their 400 ex>

Old 03-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default kfx 450r

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: iceman320

yeah I would be using it for trail riding and things like that. I like that it is fuel injected also. but I don't know if I would like a 450 for trail riding. or not or if I should get a 400 for trail riding. if only honda would put fuel injection on their 400 ex&gt;</end quote></div>

The 09 Suzuki Z400 is fuel injected! It is a little bit revey for the trail as well, but not as bad as the 450's are.

The 400EX is the best tight trail quad out there. I will gladly give up top end speed or whatever, to be on the EX in those conditions.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Range Rover
Default kfx 450r

yeah that's what I thought too, so I guess i will have to start looking for a 400ex that i can buy. or rebuild.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default kfx 450r

Well, I just bought a new KFX450R this month... and here is what I think...

The power is GREAT for a stock 4 stroke. The EFI makes the throttle response perfect and instant, with no quirks on delivery. It also does not have the "hit" like some of the other 450's do. The power delivery is very balanced, very linear, and very "right there" all the time. Being a timeless 2 stroke fan like I am, and having spent several months on this strange delivering polaris... I have came to appreciate instant throttle response, instant hit and a linear power band... because my polaris is always in the pipe with it's CVT. So I have learned not to miss feeling the hit of the power band coming in, in favor of instant power delivery. So I am very happy on the KFX450R in that respect.

It's going to make me a most excellent cross country woods bike I believe. The chassis is second to none stock, and you'd be hard pressed to find better in the aftermarket. The handling is remarkable. Like anything else, you have to adjust and learn to get the most out of it, but in my opinion it is remarkable. I'd take it over some aftermarket 250R setups I've ridden... it's that good. Even as comfortable as I am with the manors of the 400EX... this thing blows that out, even in it's raw untouched out of the crate form. I haven't even set up the suspension yet, it's still stock width, and it's still on stock tires. That says a lot when my EX is set up 2" wider than my KFX and has Holeshots all around. I put my EX back to stock width and on the KFX rubber yesterday and about pizzed myself with the difference in handling and stability.

In the end though, the KFX450R is a true RACER at heart. It really screams to life right at about the same point in the RPM range that the 400EX dies. It also has awesome torque for a 450 and has gobbs in the midrange. But it will never have the low end grunt and torque of the 400EX for low low speeds and lugging back to life after a missed shift. Likewise, the 400EX will never deliver this level of performance production after the revs get going.

The bike has no known considerable issues. Myself, as you can see I am not biased towards any brand, and likewise I am not that easily impressed with ATV's. But I have a hard time finding much fault in this machine. Here are the only areas I can find room to complain about...

For an EFI machine, it does not start as well as I expected, and it seems really easy to stall at low speeds in my riding conditions. Other owners suggest that I just be patient and wait for everything to break in and settle out. Myself, I have a hunch it likely needs the throttle position sensor adjusted. We shall see.

I am not real impressed with the full-lock turning radius. But I sometimes ride really tight woods, and I have gotten used to a 400EX with considerably OVER-GROUND steering stop setup. But that, I mean no kidding someone ground it so that now the steering stop is the wheel hitting the A-arm (literally).

Also, to have identical lighting output to my old EX... the lighting placement is not great, and the delivery is not impressive either.

Oh... and the suspension is a bit stiff... but I haven't adjusted yet, so I figure that will take care of that.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default kfx 450r

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: iceman320

yeah that's what I thought too, so I guess i will have to start looking for a 400ex that i can buy. or rebuild.</end quote></div>

Oh... and at some point soon, I might have a 400EX that I'd be willing to part with. You know the story with it. I have the 450R now and the Sport 400... and these two need all the goodies my EX has more than I need the EX, etc... They both could use tires, wheels, skids and so forth.

I couldn't bring myself to trade it, so I had it checked over by someone I trust, and everything is fine. Turns out, like any other it's age, it will need the timing chain done after another season or two, depending on how much and how hard it is ridden. It's not there yet, but eventually it will reach the service limit.

It will still be worthy for a while as-is, but in my eyes it would make someone the perfect base for a project build. It already has most everything bolted up, and an unharmed stock engine. Ride it this season and then make it a winter project...

I had in mind that a fresh big-bore build would complete the package. I just didn't have the time or the place for it. I'd rather be riding and working on a new shop than wrenching on a build in a confined minimal space.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Range Rover
Default kfx 450r

Duster, how much would you want for the 400ex if you decide to sell? and what year is it?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default kfx 450r

It is a 2000 model and I have not decided on a price yet.
I also have not decided if everything is going with it.

My major problem is the money I have invested in the bolt-ons.

Full Yoshimura exhaust, K & N filter, and jetting
Holeshot XC fronts and HD rears on Baja rims
Full thick PRM skid protection, plus TM Design Works chain slider
ProTaper fat bars & Cyrca Probend handguards
Duncan Racing Graphics and Gripper Seat Cover
CDB Air Scoops, Fat Pegs, Nerfs w/Red netting
Nac's number plates and Headlight Covers
...and probably some things I am forgetting.

Anyways, it all adds up super fast.
I have literally thousands tied up in goodies.

I might be able to use the Probends on my KFX450R and the tires on my Sport 400 to help some.

Anyways, here it is if you haven't seen it already.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default kfx 450r

You'd lose SO much of that trying to sell it. Just putting it out there. It would probably be easiest to part out the aftermarket stuff, and just sell the bike mostly stock (if you have the stock stuff still). If not, just keep her - haha she can be a time machine back to 1999!

Quick Reply: kfx 450r