Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

should i buy a raptor

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatorhunter
hmmm. such as? I have a 660 from 01-present. Motor has been pretty reliable for me. Enough so that I didn't hesitate to get the new 700.
For you yes. I know some people that have not had any problems. But I know a lot more that have had problems. Some had transmission failures, starting issues, electrical issues. I know of at least 3 people that had frames bend and one person that the frame cracked. These are not racer people either, just aggressive trail riders. The 700 is a more refined engine with some, but not all of the weak areas worked out. They are still very tippy ATV's be it a 660 or 700. Very powerful, but without suspension mods handle like crap. One reason why both the 700 and 660's have a lower than normal resale value when practically new. A lot of buyers sell them very quickly after finding out they are not all they are hyped to be by the magazines, ie Dirt Wheels (aka Yamaha Wheels).

Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer

I rode one and have to admit it felt like the center of gravity was to high. Later in the day the owner did manage to tip his over and got a concussion. I'm a newer rider so you can take this with a grain of salt though.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 660's do need to be widened over stock. The '01s were notorious for tranny problems(but are there any left out there that haven't been rebuilt or trashed?) Starter one ways were a problem for all years, solvable through the aftermarket though. The biggest pain in my book is the dual carbs and the tuning they need. If you get a good deal on a wider one or don't mind buying a-arms/axle and/or offset wheels for it then they can be a good ride. One bonus is you can get stock YFZ front shocks to fit with just a little grinding on the shock mounts. That and going stock travel +1 arms will tighten the handling right up.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Makes me kind of wonder why they are the number one selling quad on the market. Learn how to ride and you will never tip one unless you make a mistake. I've yet to find some one willing to follow me ridding the ridge at Sand Mountain NV. at the speeds I ride and cross the ridge under full throttle. And I'm an old guy.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

should i buy a raptor-sm-wnid-mill.jpg
That is Sand Mountain NV. with an 600 ' elevation. It is steep on both sides.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 660 was designed by the same idiots that designed the Warrior....they just never got things quite right! People get sucked in by that torquey engine, and forget that the frame and ergonomics are terrible.

The 700 is much improved, if you can afford one.....

Old 07-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

1.Handling sucks
2.Reliability sucks
3.Out dated
4.Overpriced
5.It has too much power for the trails, you could never open it up. It's sorta like buying a Lambo when you live in the middle of NYC.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

You can never have to much power in the sand.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HSSC
You can never have to much power in the sand.
If all you ride is sand pretty much explains why you've never tipped one over.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

I will openly admit they are a little top heavy (660 are worse then 700s). The 660 suspension sucks but the 700s 08 and newer is pretty nice. I always like how people are quick to reply on how on un-reliable they are, top heavy, etc when most have never riden them. There isn't one atv made they I can't come up with a list of crap I do not like (reliablity is often hand and hand with proper maintance regardless of make, model, or manufacture). I ride with a large group of atvs ranging from renegades, 400(ex and suzuki), 450s, and bigbore sport (ds650-raptor 700). Thrown a leg over must atvs just to get a feel for them. All of them have been rolled from donuts, sliding or whatever and all have had minor bends. A raptor can be widened for cheap $180 (as long as you are not mx racing) if that is an issue.
To much power? LOL maybe you just need training wheels. Raptors have a torquey, low revving powerband just like the bigbore 4x4's (not a 450 or banshee). You don't have to build power with revs just to get through a mud hole, up a hill, etc.
Best thing to remember is don't buy first year of anything honda, yamaha, suzuki, whatever...
weight out your options and remember what is good for one person may not fit your needs

Quick Reply: should i buy a raptor