Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

2 strokes or 4 strokes??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like both 2-strokes and 4-strokes for but for completely different reasons. Some two-strokes have twice the power (or almost) of a 4-stroke of the same displacement (YZ125 races against state-of-the-art 4-stroke 250F), they are light, and easy to work on, even if you have to do it more, where four-strokes you have to mess with valves and all. And 2-strokes are a lot mor fun to ride because you get the rush of power. 4-strokes are okay. But you don't have as much fun riding them because they don't have th 2-stroke rush, but you can wheelie like nothin and if you want to ride relaxingly it's cool. If you get a 4 banger, get a big one like over 400cc

Old 02-22-2002, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

get a four stroke better all around, and if you have the money get a raptor.

Old 02-23-2002, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer

Just got back from Motorama in Harrisburg Pa. 3 day event - arenacross and flat track. A heavily modified Raptor dominated the flat track "Amateur" event up until the last 30' of the feature. The backmarker who he had been trailing for 2 laps failed to look behind to let the leaders by, and was using up the whole track to protect his last place position. When the backmarker missed a shift coming off the last corner, the second place bike rammed the rapidly slowing Raptor and forced him off the track. The Raptor driver was HOT. But this Raptor set fastest lap time for all flat trackers.

Whether expert or B class the mix of winners in all the classes was about even between four strokes and two strokes. Pick your poison they're all fun. (PS I didn't see any Raptors in the MX features)

PS if you are into competition bikes there is no such thing as "reliable", If the power train is reliable it's probably too slow to compete. The crashing and banging from jumping wreaks havoc on them all - it doesn't matter whether the engine is two or four strokes. If you're not spending time and money repairing the damage from your last race your spending it making it faster for the next one.

Old 02-27-2002, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

i have owned both and loved them both...what i didnt like about the 2 stroke was how dirty it always was...2 stoke oil was alway on the mottor...it smoked like all get out...everybody would always complain when riding behind me.....i just throw mud on them and let them try and catch me..lol....now i have a raptor great handleing....the power is there at a thumb squeeze...ill keep the 4 stroke...but thinking about getting a shee before they take them out of production.........besides...if you like it...what else matters!!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2002, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

frist off guy's i don't see why everyone down's 2 strokes for being costly to keep up i don't even remember the last time i cleaned my spark plug and its as hard and fast as ever in fact i don't remember haveing to do any sort of wrenching over and above a 4 stroke other than topend rebuilds every year or 2 depending how how hard and how much you ride maybe thats just a honda thing but i have no dependablity iusse's with my r at ALL its only when you start getting like 330 kits and stuff does a 2 stroke have the life span of a housefly plus think about this 2 stroke single's are cheap to mod and responed better to just a pipe reed's and jetting then you would ever dream i have alittle more than that done to mine but ya hookin up a 2 stroke is cheaper and is much more rewarding than buying a 200 dallor cam for a bearly noticeable gain where u spend that on a good 2 stroke pipe and get around 9hp and nearly a wole new powerband to use it i guess it even's out tho in the long run haveing to buy 5 dallor bttles of pre mix every 5 gallons of gas and doing the yearly topend rebuilds but the money it would take to mod a standard 4 stroke to even roll with a 2 stroke will keep u in pre mix and mods for a good 2 years

Old 03-11-2002, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

2 strokes for speed, and the 4 stroke for the torque

Old 03-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

two strokes 4 life. i dont like these people who criticize(sp?)two stokes when they dont even own one. ya im talking about you people with the weed wackers and blowers or whatever. if you think 4 strokes are sooo much better than explain to me why the 2 strokes cannot be touched in gncc, gnc, tt, and most of them endurance races. no matter what they do to 4 strokes, the 2 strokes have and will always have a way of beating them to the punch. most of you 4 strokers probly couldnt hang on to an R if your life depended on it. so dont go criticizing somthing that is better than what you have. your 4 strokers are in denial or somthing. and i cant beleive im the only one fighting for these 2 strokes on here. some of you people say you like both and couldnt decide, well i like both too its just that you guys are saying that 4 strokes are better and that is not true in any way. the only 4 stroke id ever own would probably be a lawn mower of some sort. there i let my mind go and now you do somthing with what i said. yell, wine, complain, about how im wrong and your right and team up on me and agree with everyone else, i dont care. im not going to argue this any further, it just got me going when i read all the criticizm about 2 strokes. thats all. nobody was totally for 2 strokes like i am so dont tell me how you werent criticizing them. there.....do what you will[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2002, 02:52 PM
Fez
Range Rover

Dude get a 2 stroke. dont you wanna roost people. lol. everybody says how they are a pain to keep up with. But it is less money to fix. PLus with mods you will see a quick hype in hp.

Old 03-29-2002, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

before i got my 250r i had a fourstroke and 2 strokes are so much better its just awesome how much faster it is do yall see any raptors or 400exs racing in the pro classes? no four strokes are just to lazy for me i like to hall *** and a 2 stroke can do it whenever i race those 4 strokes are in the back its all the banshees ad 250rs that are placin the good spots they are alot cheaper to make them go faster and why do 4 strokes need 660 ccs to keep up with 250?

Old 03-30-2002, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

It just takes more work and skill to be fast on a 2-stroke (thats a compliment to all you 2-strokers) because of the fanning the clutch and what not. I am more of a 4-stroke kind of guy. 2-strokes are awesome though, you can pull so much power out of them w/ so little $, it's not even funny. The 4-stroke field is a bit limited... 400ex has great handling but not enough (stock) power: The DS650 has lots of power and decent handling but to dang heavy: The Raptor... well, it's a Raptor: My Cannondale has lots of power and good handling and is light weight and since I race MX, it was pretty much an easy choice for me.

Crazyhorse03- I understand where your coming from... a lot of people here DO seem to have a their big 4-stroke head up their butt, but not everyone. I REALLY do like both A LOT but since I MX, I didn't want to buy something that was 13 years old (or anything used as a matter of fact) so for me the only clear choice was to go w/ the Dale. If you haven't ridden one, you should try... I swear to God it will even amaze you. ALMOST like a 2-stroke power band w/ 4-stroke traction and torque. It's an insane ride and I think anyone that has ever ridden one can say that there isn't a stock 4-stroke that can match it's power, accelleration (sp?), and throttle response.

Quick Reply: 2 strokes or 4 strokes??