Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Can you use Simple Green on an O ring chain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 03:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, can you use Simple Green on an O ring chain? It works great a getting gunk off chains (it has been used for years on mountain bikes). What about an O ring?

Old 08-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

I have been using it on mine for over two years now with no problems.

Old 08-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

Sweet, that is what I wanted to know. I have been using it forever on my mountain bike and it works great. I used karosine on my quad chain and it is a huge pain in the a$$.

Old 08-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Nut
Trailblazer

Yep. Been using it for at least five years.

Old 08-16-2002, 05:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Is this this same simple green wheel cleaner that will dang near water your eyes and even smells toxic? I can't imagine delicate o-rings standing up too such abuse.

Old 08-16-2002, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

<< Is this this same simple green wheel cleaner that will dang near water your eyes and even smells toxic? I can't imagine delicate o-rings standing up too such abuse. >>

Toxic, I love the smell. It smells like rootbeer or something. I wanted to taste it but my better judgement says no.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

actually, simplegreen isn't toxic. it's called &quot;simplegreen&quot; cuz it's &quot;environmentally friendly&quot; not cuz it's green [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2002, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

yep simple green is it. 2 tablespoons to a a standard squirt bottle is how th quads get cleaned. chain included. doesnt even take the wax or stickers off! watch out castrol super clean(purple) is sold as similar but will doscolor your aluminum and raise heck with yer seals! dont use that!
use a good chain oil right away, of course.
can ya tell i dont ride in mud? hehe.... have fun ;p

Old 08-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Nut
Trailblazer

<< Is this this same simple green wheel cleaner that will dang near water your eyes and even smells toxic? I can't imagine delicate o-rings standing up too such abuse. >>

Simple Green makes quite a few different products. I think they do make a cleaner that is labeled specifically as a &quot;wheel cleaner&quot;. I'm not familiar with that. I just use the standard Simple Green cleaner &amp; degreaser. Smells like pine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2002, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

So, prior to posting this question, I decided to go straight to the source. I sent an e-mail to Simple Green. Here is what they had to say:

Thanks for your inquiry. Sealed chains should be cleaned with solvent, not with water-based cleaners. Simple Green would do a great job at cleaning the outside of the chain, and then would probably penetrate to the interior of the chain and degrease it as well. Therefore, this is not a particularly good application for our product.

I hope this information answers your question sufficiently. Should you have any additional questions or any concerns, please contact me directly. Thanks again for contacting us and for considering Simple Green products.

Sincerely,

Carol Chapin
Environmental &amp; Regulatory Coordinator
SIMPLE GREEN
(800) 228-0709
cchapin@simplegreen.com

I really like how well it cleaned my chain, but am a little leary about using it now!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Can you use Simple Green on an O ring chain?