Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

ATV vs. Dirtbike

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2000, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride a CR 250, but a am thinking about buying some kind of sport quad, maybe a Banshee or 250R, I would like to get some nfo. on how much diffence there is between riding a dirtbike and a sport quad. Jumping, turning, riding wheelies, racing, ect.

Old 04-10-2000, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

There is a huge difference between 2 wheels and 4. I think that quads are much easier to ride, due to the fact that you cant fall over on one like a dirtbike but I know that people who ride bikes swear they are easier to ride. All I know is I have been riding a quad for 7 or 8 years now and I cant ride a dirtbike for crap.

Old 04-10-2000, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

I used to ride bikes and got tired of falling over so much. My knee's couldn't take it any more. I love quads but you'll get beat to death on them compared to the bikes. Bikes have much more advanced suspension systems that quads do. Also because of four wheels on the ground you'll be hitting lots more bumps. Jumps must be hit squarly because of the weight of a quad you can't correct your angle in mid air. Quads do have some advantages too. Flat turns can be taken much faster and power sliding is a blast. Mud can actually be fun on a quad. Quads can go riding just about any time you'll be ready through all four seasons. Suspensions on quads can be tuned much better but it will cost you. I love quads and would never go back to bikes.

Bruce
2000 Banshee
99 400ex
99 wolverine

Old 04-10-2000, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 1996 cr125 and a 92 250x. I prefer my cr125 more because I can roost out of berms and fly around a track. It is also much funner to race mx on a bike. My quad I race in XC and I swear there are more back problems with me due to my quad than my bike. Standing on a quad is not common in XC racing because you have to continously turn. Bikes are also easier to "fly" I like turning the bike in the air but with a quad turning a quad in the air is totally hard to do and land. Just wanted to give my 2 cents on why bikes are better.

Old 04-10-2000, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

If you want to see what quads can do racing and jumping, watch Huevos one and two. Also the Extreme series is pretty good also.

In one of the videos, it said at High Point Raceways, the quads where only 1 second per lap slower than the bikes. And thats the Pro class.

Bikes and quads are so very differnent, but they are both a blast to ride and race.

87 Banshee
99 Banshee

Old 04-10-2000, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

In a nut shell...Bikes are easy to ride fast, but hard to ride slow...Quads are easy to ride slow, but hard to ride fast...

Old 04-11-2000, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

No effense thumper but i think quads are easy to ride slow or fast . but like everyone else said theres a big difference, the first time i rode a dirbike i recked and boke my foot. try one out from a friend or something first before you switch

Old 04-11-2000, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that quads are pretty easy to ride either way. If you can ride a bike, I would bet that with a little practice you could ride a quad too. One thing is that bikes are kinda easier on the person if something bad does happen you can lay the bike down, if something goes wrong on the quad you might be in some serious trouble. Bikes can also be easier to climb hills on cause the hills we climb are really rutted and can flip a quad if you dont pick the perfect line up it. On a bike you can just ride teh middle of the rut and be ok.

Old 04-11-2000, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Dirtbikes all the way I own a 96 kx125 bikes are lighter better suspension and fly farther and easy then quads because it takes more effort to get them off the ground because they are so much more heavier Bikes have more of a tug they all most throw you off your bike when you pin the throttle I have ridden my brother's 89 lt250 it has 15 more horsepower then mine and still loses even when he gets the jump on me and bike accelerate way quicker to and I only ride a 125. and if you have a problem with tipping your bike you don't know how to ride right

Old 04-13-2000, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

I used to ride with a guy on a bike but he was always behind me, hooked to my tow strap because bikes can't mud. Sure they are light and very fast but that 1 wheel drive wouldn't take me where, or when I go. That means snow is no go on a bike, my ATV doesn't know how to hibernate! Just have one of each if that gets you on a trail, don't sweat it, just ride! Ying & yang, there's 2 sides to every coin.

Quick Reply: ATV vs. Dirtbike