Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Rolled my Vinson because of front brake use...please read!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolled my Vinson because of front brake use...please read!

I was out with my kids last Sat. coming down a mountain trail when around the corner that we were rapidly approaching, come 3 dirt bikers. I was traveling about 20 mph and standing on the pegs, my immediate response was to squeeze my left brake handle which engages the front brakes...that was the wrong thing to do. The rear end of my machine came up off the ground and just kept coming...it launched me over the handlebars and onto the ground, the machine did a complete roll and landed on my legs. After the initial shock dissapated...the dirt bikers helped get the machine off of me. Hardly any damage to the machine at all....mirrior was torn off...but that is it. These machines are tough. Rides perfect as before. In retrospect I believe that ultimately Suzuki had better address this problem. Other machines like the Polaris 500's engage ALL brakes when a handle is depressed. This is THE ONLY flaw that I can find with this machine. Realizing that this machine is still in it's embryonic stage I am not going to be to hard on Suzuki...but this is absolutely going to be a problem for them. I am taking it to the dealer tommorrow to make sure that my rear brakes are still O.K.....

Old 06-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

Honda developed that for their MCs a while back calling it a "linked braking system". What was the response? Most hated it. As a MC rider and an ATV rider, if we learn proper techniques we realize that the front brake provides 80% of the stopping power on these types of vehicles.

What does this mean? In my opinion I don't think the machine is at fault at all. For the situation, going down hill I would say that maybe too much front brake was used, and it sounds like no rear braking was used. As with MCs, we're taught (if proper learning is utilized) to apply both brakes at the same time in most cases (not always equally, there is a science to it). You could place as much blame on the lack of anti-lock brakes, I would suppose.

But, because a lot of ATVs are 4wd, if you have 4wd engaged using the front brake will automatically also slow down the rear tires.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but I would say that possibly you didn't apply the brakes as they should have been, and/or maybe you were going too fast for the circustances, and, if standing, in an improper riding position.

Don't take this personally. Please.

Old 06-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

Yup. No offense, but you need more seat time. Cant blame that on a manufacturer.

Old 06-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Pastor
my immediate response was to squeeze my left brake handle which engages the front brakes

Last time I checked the lever on the left handlebar is for the rear brake.

This is completely rider error. Polaris single braking system is not better by any means. You don't apply front brakes too strongly on a down hill, you experienced the consequences.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about your accident. You said the quad was okay, you didn't say if you were. Hope so. I would have to agree that it sounds like operator error, I don't think Suzuki will get much flack on that. When I started out riding dirtbikes at a young age my dad threatened to disconnect the front break so I wouldn't be inclined to use it, because the results can be the same as yours. Whether it be the laws of physics or gravity or whatever, it is just not right to slam on only the front brakes when going down a hill. Practicing using your foot break and left handle break (which should be your rear break) more may help you to not automatically engage only the front brakes in a dangerous situation. I am not a fan of the Polaris breaking system, I like to control the amount of front and rear breaking myself.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

I owned a Magnum for 3 years and Now own a vinson, and I like the Polaris breaking system more than any of them.
They have more stopping power in all conditions, even when all brakes are applied on the vinson.
I hit a tree the other day because I pulled both brakes in, but the machine barely even slowed down, it was pitiful.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

Obviously it has good brakes if this guy did an endo on a utility [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Pastor
my immediate response was to squeeze my left brake handle which engages the front brakes...that was the wrong thing to do....
Not only is it rider error-- you admit your mistake and then blame the company in the same post!

Hey, I have the PERFECT solution for your problem. Take your four-wheeler to the dealership where you bought it. Wheel it into their service area. Give the dealer the keys. Get into your truck and drive away. You will never have that braking problem again, EVER!

Also you will spare the ATV community of that ignorant thinking which almost killed off the sport in the first place.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2003, 11:00 PM
GT2
Trailblazer

Sorry pastor, but these guys are right, you f---d up. Hope your ok. Learn from your mistake. And learn which lever is the front brake.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

I appreciate all of your comments and accept the critique, rebukes and the advice. I did not intend to imply that Suzuki was completely at fault here. Obviuosly, it was my error because of my position...standing which made going from throttle to brake not as easy...it was just more impulsive for me to apply front brakes. I accept the fact that I learned a lesson...its my first quad and in no way want this to reflect ANY negative stuff on those of you who are experienced riders. But hey...we all learn...hopefully. A friend of mine who is sold out on polaris has been looking for anything to rub it in that I own a Vinson. Guess what? I still think this is the best machine out there! Thanks...

Quick Reply: Rolled my Vinson because of front brake use...please read!