Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What about a Zilla engine in a lighter chassis??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 02:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about a Zilla engine in a lighter chassis??

I think putting such a powerful motor in a light chassis would be cool to see, but a zilla motor isnt an ideal motor to race mx . YOu dont see people racing them because a 500 cc motor tends to overheat often. MX really pushes motors to their limits. Im sure people do use a zilla motor for racing , i know people that have them , and they are very reliable for short term racing like hill climbing or quarter mile drags. This is just my experience with them but i could be wrong. Also a zilla motor is more than capable of hauling around a high weight atv.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah we know the 500s tend to overheat, but thats a risk we're willing to take. My brother intends to do many of the mods DR Q said on MacDizzys site. We are hoping to make a very reliable 500 Racer.
Anymore thoughts?
Thanx
Superstar

Old 07-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well, Ive had my Zilla through the paces of glamis in some heat and although Ive had other problems,
Its never overheated. (and this is Glamis were talking about)

Just because its a big motor doesnt mean its overheat prone.
Its got a large radiator.

-Matt

Old 07-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Okay SS. 350 is right on the complete re-work of the motor mounts... the LT utilizes a swingarm bolt thru the rear of the engine, and the honda configuration does not...
To make this a clean install, you'll need to be pretty saavy on fabrication, etc.

The reason I'm big on the LT250 chassis is the ease of install.... The darn thing is just about a bolt in with minor fabrication... the honda will be some work.

I still think it's a viable option based upon available aftermarket accessories.

The comments on the LT500 motor are justified... you need a temp gage! period! You'll probably need a custom radiator to keep it cool, because the 250 gets pretty warm in there.

This motor, with the right mods, in a well handling light chassis will oblitherate all comers... I can't wait to get mine finished, but the budget #'s tell me that it will be next year before It runs.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Good luck to ya!

Old 07-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer

ok If your going to do something like that you should use a honda cr500 motor much more power and much more reliable.

Old 07-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Holy cow. What a bright idea, Superstar, forget the whole Zilla motor thing.

You need to use the Honda CR500 motor.

(nevermind the fact that its a non-counterbalanced 500CC 2 stroke that will vibrate so bad it will break welds)

Old 07-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

How much weight are you really going to save? What are the other benefits of a smaller frame other than weight?

I know that a lot of what makes the LT500 heavy is the motor itself. I had one shipped to me it was 86lbs including the box I also have had a LT250 motor shipped (91) it was 57lbs in the box both empty of fluids. That’s almost 30lbs of the weight difference between the LT250 and 500 right there.

I’ve read that a LT500 weighs 38?lbs so the frame would be right at 300lbs by itself whereas a LT250 weighs 32? Which puts the frame around 270lbs. Only around 30lbs saved for a ton of work. With the exception of a 250r, which is probably close to the same, I would guess that the other frames are heavier than the LT250 frame.

I doubt 30lbs will make a big enough difference on a 50+hp quad to even be noticeable in anything but a straight out drag race on pavement. And I would think that you could compensate for the extra weight just by adjusting the suspension.

I don’t ride motocross though, so maybe I’m missing something. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys

The reason we want to you a lighter frame is because it makes it much easier to control in the air, easier to whip around and the momentum isn't so great. I understand what you guys are saying though. Maybe I could try to convince my brother to use a LT250 chassis.
Keep the thoughts comin
Superstar

Old 07-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Well Tom... here's how I look at it. (Please keep in mind this is a rough approximation) 10 pounds = 1 Horsepower, so for every 10 # shaved off the machine, you get one free HP... Not much of a benefit? That depends... The 500 in stock form has alot of 'stuff' on board that can be removed to cut some weight, likewise, so does the 250... I'm hoping to have my 500 powered 250 weigh in at approx. 265#... I can see where a light weight chassis would be a benefit in MX, provided the chassis hasn't been structurally weakened in the process....
When Sand Dragging... weight is public enemy #1... (Yeah, If I lost 20#... I'd be even faster too)

1sickpred: The CR500 motor isn't that much stronger if at all when the LT motor has been massaged.... And trust 350's judgement.... THEY VIBRATE so hard you'll be missing fillings! I know, we've got one in our group, and it's only used as a back up bike if someone breaks down.... NOT RELIABLE! Breaks motor mounts, cracks frame, fingers/hands/arms go numb, fillings rattle loose!... It runs great, but ..... It's not worth it.

Old 07-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ignore this post. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: What about a Zilla engine in a lighter chassis??