Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What about a Zilla engine in a lighter chassis??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about a Zilla engine in a lighter chassis??

I think you guys are just more serious about being the fastest. I see the point in shaving off weight, but I am just not willing to go as far as a custom engine installation.

You probably have a lot better competition too. In Florida LT500s are pretty rare and 90% of the really modded up Banshees are rode by rich priks and drug dealers that just putter around trying not to get dirt on their 15000$ quad. I could probably detune mine and still rarely loose any race here.

265lbs is pretty awesome for any Quadracer. I would be impressed with a 265lb LT250, no less one with a LT500 motor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2003, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

we've got one in our group, and it's only used as a back up bike if someone breaks down.... NOT RELIABLE! Breaks motor mounts, cracks frame, fingers/hands/arms go numb, fillings rattle loose!... It runs great, but ..... It's not worth it.
He is talking about a CR500 powered 250R. NOT a CR500 BIKE.
The CR500 itself is VERY reliable. (untill you do custom fab work and put the motor in a quad chassis)

Old 07-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

ok smart guy why would the same motor not be reliable in a diffrent frame? And I had an 89 cr500 and a quadzilla the honda doesn't vibrate any more the the zilla did. Honda actualy made the effort of makeing some what reliable big bore two stroke. I had more problems with that heavy junk of a quad then any other bike or quad I have ever had. the most unreliable quad built. It was fast I give it that but it was even faster to brake down. My honda on the other hand I put one top end in it when I got it and rode it for 4 years and sold it- never a problem.

Old 07-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

I think it may have been said already and it may be to late for this post, but I seem to recall that in the early 90's and late 80's people putting the lt500r motor in the lt250r chassis. There used to be conversion kits and people to call for this.
This may be off track and in the wrong forum, and quite possibly someone could have already said it in this thread ( i cant remeber everything), but you may want to hear this - before Honda pulled the plug on the 250r, rumor has it they were testing and just about ready to release a trx500r. Then the bottom fell out of the sport quad market just like a toilet flushing....it never got to happen.
Not to knock the mighty Quadzilla or anything but wouldnt that have been great if they would have made that bike? 250r - like handling with a 500cc two stroke power right from Honda? wow.
Quadzilla, though, reigns supreme in this aspect. There was only one and will always be one Quadzilla. Fastest production quad to this day. period. I almost bought one off of ebay in march. mint condition!
But i didnt.

Old 07-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Why dont you get some knowledge of what we are talking about here before you spout off at me... smart guy?
Stick around. You might learn something.

The CR500 motor in the CR chassis is a very reliable bike. (Like I said before)
The motor is non-counterbalanced. Do you know what that means?

That means that UNLIKE the LT500 motor, the CR500 motor DOES NOT have a rotating weight inside the engine
spinning the opposite direction of the crank to cancel the vibration from that big crank and piston.

" I had an 89 cr500 and a quadzilla the honda doesn't vibrate any more the the zilla did"

This is because that big non counterbalaced motor was mounted in a chassis with FORKS.. and only two wheels.
The forks on a bike absorb the vibration.

"ok smart guy why would the same motor not be reliable in a diffrent frame"

Because once you stick that motor in a QUAD frame, the huge vibration becomes a major issue.
It will numb hands, loosen bolts, and even crack welds like I said before.... and it becomes UNRELIABLE.

ps. That HEAVY pos weighs LESS than your raptor, and your POS polaris.

ponder that.

Old 07-05-2003, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

OK guys, I see you wanted to prove a point but I don't any flaming. There is no need for it.
Thanx
Superstar

Old 07-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by 1SickPred

I had more problems with that heavy junk of a quad then any other bike or quad I have ever had. the most unreliable quad built. It was fast I give it that but it was even faster to brake down.
Funny you feel that way, myself and many others on this forum have 88 lt500's run great. Mine still has the ORIGINAL piston. I hope your 4-stroke valve trains holds up as well in 15 years. I have owned and worked on many lt500 when I used to own a performance shop and the first year out 87 was a problem, that’s why they updated the 88. You sure you don't have an 87?

Mr350x is right on about the 2-wheeler canceling out the gyroscopic vibrations of a non-counter balanced big bore 2-stroke.

Old 07-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Range Rover

Ive been around quadzilla motors but have never had one. FRom what i saw they are a little more prone to problems from neglect and lack of maintenance, than smaller lower hp engines. IM not trying to say that 250s are more reliable than 500 but i think you have to pay closer attention to how they are running and know how to keep them in good shape. MY cousin had one and it was always overheating and had all kinds of little problems. He sold it to another friend who put about 800 dollars in new parts. It hasnt had a problem in 2 years now, its all about the owner not the engine.

Old 07-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Correctamundo.

BUT, on the other hand....
Certain parts WILL wear out regardless of your care and attention.

(the Zillas water pump seal for instance... doesnt matter how you baby it.. If it hasnt gone yet, its on its way)