Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need some help on LT500 - leaking shift seal... any help appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help on LT500 - leaking shift seal... any help appreciated.

Well I knew I had a leak in this beast when I bought it to restore it, and after cleaning the motor real good and letting it sit for a while, I've found it. The seal around the shifting rod is bad. Since I don't have a manual yet, is there any way to replace this seal without ripping the top end off, somehow pulling the magneto, and splitting the cases to get to it? It runs perfect, and I don't want to split the cases if I don't have to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

if its anything like the Lt250r i just worked it out with a screw driver after taking out the shifting rod.
you probably can do it with screws too by putting a screw a little way in and then pulling on it with vise grips some people had luck that way that will save you from taking the cover off to get the shifting rod out.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

You mentioned that you took it out after taking the shift rod out. To do that you have to split the cases right? I was thinking of trying to get the seal out the other way you mentioned, anyone else have any thoughts on this? Sounds good to me, but I've never split the cases on any of my atv motors, so I'm not sure how that shift seal is positioned. If it was held in by just a tiny lip so it wouldn't fall out then it might be possible to take it out without splitting the cases. Anybody done it this way on a LT500? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

no need to split the cases just take off the right side cover where the clutches are. on my 88 if memory serves me right i had to remove the basket to get the shift rod out.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmmm.... yeah that's a problem. On the LT500 the motor is bigger, and so the shift seal is on the case, not the case cover like your 250. I'm going to try removing the seal right now without splitting the cases. Wish me luck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Bingo. It worked. I took a little screwdriver and put it between the shaft and the inner part of the seal (touching the shaft) and moved it around while trying to bend the screwdriver and pop the seal out. It came out slowly. It's about 1/8" thick or so, and behind it there is a small opening in the case where the shaft goes into. Woho for me! I don't have to do anything else except push in a new seal. It was made to be pulled out from the outside, so you don't have to split the cases. Thanks for the help evhwg. I learn something new everyday. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

mines in the case to but you dont need to split the cases heheh.
glad to hear you got it out of there. the only bad thing about the screwdriver trick is some people get in there and scratch the hell out of it. but if you take your time it comes out fine.