Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

For all you Eiger 400 4x4 owners, how do you like your bikes???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 12:22 AM
ML
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For all you Eiger 400 4x4 owners, how do you like your bikes???

I bought a 2002 Eiger 4x4 this week with 20 miles. The unit was used last hunting season and only crank occasionally to keep the battery charged. Yesterday we put about 30 miles on the unit. I have a backfire when changing gears and would lilke to know if any of you have or have had this problem and what to do about it. I have an outlander max also but I think the eiger is a better machine except for the ride. The outlander has all the atv's beat in the ride. To bad the quality is not there.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

I love my Eiger! It was my x-mas present last year. I have 950 miles on it and these are the things that I have had a problem with.

1) Crap in the carb - it looked like little black plastic flakes, maybe from the gas tank? I cleaned it on 3 seperate occasions, installed an inline filter and no more problems.
2) Loose tie rod ends - after about 750 miles, the tie rod ends (inner and outer) had to be tightened. I put blue locktite on them and so far so good.
3) Backfire - Once and a while, while letting off the throttle to slow down, it will backfire. I am told this is from a kink in the carb vent hose, although I haven't found it yet.

Thats it! The 950 miles that I have put on it are not "easy" miles (just check out the avitar!). I hang with the sport quads on the trails and the Eiger has gone through more mud than any other machine in the club I belong to! As far as water goes, I have had water up to the seat, no spitting or spuddering. It just keeps on chugging! The Eiger is an awsome machine!

Old 12-01-2003, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, forgot one thing:

4) Footpegs were loose (800 miles) - blue locktite and tightened, fine so far.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

hi don here 04 400 eiger auto 4x4 i love my bike here at home use it every day and have had fun with it good atv gets me where i need to go and have not got stuck where i could net get out 1026 miles so far take care

Old 02-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Steinster, since you have an 04 400 Eiger 4x4, I'm going to ask you a few questions. ( Anyone else can answer, though, please.) I'm going to buy a new atv in a few days; either a Polaris 500 HO, an Arctic Cat 400 4x4 auto, or a Kodiak. How does the Eiger compare with these machines--pricewise, ride comfort, and tranny dependability? I'm going to use it to check boll weevil traps this summer--a lot of hot weather riding with a lot of starts and stops and a lot of idleing in between--approx 8 to 10 hours a day, a couple of days a week. How will the Eiger handle this? Thanks.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Bollweevil, I would suggest you ride each of these machines first. If you are going to be sitting on it all day, work and no play, the Eiger may not be your machine. It's a fun and fast atvwith racks.

You may want to look at the Prairie 650. It has been replaced by the 700 but you can find some great deals on NEW P650s.

I'm 6'2" and the Eiger seems small compared to some of the other machines in its class.

Did I mention that I love this quad? It's the funnest machine out there in this class. Just ask ATV Action magazine.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Bang for the buck, I don't think you will beat it. I really don't have many negatives to say. I had some problems, two of which I think were factory problems (little nuscences sp?) and two attributed to the way I ride.

I ride with a club that has many bire bore machines. The Eiger hangs with them all, and here's the best thing. I have yet to overheat the machine. We have had to stop rides for a while to let the sportsmans/grizzs/rincons/prairies cool down. (Even after stopping, their fans run forever!) Can't say anything about the Cat machines, haven't ridden with any yet. There is a Kodiac in the club and I have yet to see that machine stopped as well.

As far as the tranny goes, I think that if you get crud in any automatic (belt drive), you could have slippage. As far as my manual tranny, I have had no problems with it.

BUT, like Eiger2 said, your best bet is to just ridem and see which one you like the best.

Old 02-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer

Hi
I just bought my first atv, and am no expert. But I did a ton of research and ened up with a holdover 03 Eiger auto 4x4.
Things that sold me.
Suzuki- who do you know that has anything made by Suzuki that doesn't like it? Similar to Honda to me I guess, they make good stuff.

4x4 or 2x4, I didn't want to be in 4x4 all the time.

High and low range, very usefull.

Ride, I have rods in my back and a soft ride was a must, the Eiger has a soft nimble ride.

And the biggie $$$$ I paid $4500 for my brand new 03, that was with tax. And they gave me the $69 warn winch and I had them put on a 54" warn snow plow and a easy off wind shield.
Got this all for $5085 out the door labor and tax included.
Most of the other 400cc atvs I looked at started at about $5500 for just the quad, and most didn't have the options my Eiger does.

I know most everyone makes a great quad, it's just that I felt I got my best bang for the buck with my Eiger.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

I bought my Eiger auto 4x4 three weeks ago. I road my buddies' Polaris, Grizzly and Bombadier. The perform as well as all of them plus is better priced and the Hi-lo 4WD will go up every hill and dune I have hit. Stay away from YAMAHA's . (cheap design and lack of throttle response) Eiger 400 auto is responsive and can be thrown around. Like any 4WD it is front heavy over jumps.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: John3
I am looking into getting my first 4 wheeler and I have it narrowed down to a couple. The Eiger 400 4x4 auto, the Arctic Cat 400 4x4, the Yamaha Wolverine, and Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 auto. I'm wondering what your thoughts, experiences, problems have been with your Eiger or any of the ones I mentioned that I'm also considering. I have a couple other posts out in a couple different forums, but I hope this thread attracks someone that may not look in the other forums.

THanks in advance for your time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Last time I remember, the Eiger is a QUAD(meaning 4 wheels)! A bike(Bi=2)is 2 wheeled!

Quick Reply: For all you Eiger 400 4x4 owners, how do you like your bikes???