Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quadzilla motor rebuilds who is really the best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadzilla motor rebuilds who is really the best?

I have tranny problem now after just having the motor rebuilt at a local Suzuki shop about 15 hours now on motor. The gears seem to be slipping when I leg on it and it started breaking teeth off the front sproket. The chain and all the bearings are tight it is something in the bottom end. I was now thinking of using CT to rebuild it this time but i haven't heard to many people using them. Everyone gives mixed reviews about Trinity and have had nothing but issues with Jeff Tudor. I was also thinking maybe Paul Turner because I used all their performance parts on it but I have not talked to anyone who has used them but I am sick of shops that keep telling me they work on them all the time and mine is the only one that is ever there. I have also been considering donig it myself I am pretty handy and I have the manul but I am not sure what other tools I might need and how complicated it really is once you get it apart. Please someone help me what should I do ? You can veiw some pics. of it on www.everything2stroke.com of when it ran.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure why you broke teeth, but the only thing that could be slipping is your clutch. Did they put in new plates? A clutch and basket are easy to do.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

I can't think of a likely way a problem in the bottom end would cause teeth to break of the front sprocket. The only possibility that comes to mind is if the shaft the sprocket is on was bent inside.

I would look hard for an external problem like bad rear bearings, motor mounts or the chain being way to tight.

Old 09-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Dan,

before you send it off to a 'puppy' shop, look it over good, and diagnose your problem yourself... it's not that hard!

So help me understand what's really going on... what is slipping? Gears don't slip unless there is absolutely no teeth left.
I'm assuming that you feel it slipping when heavy on the throttle?
Question #1: What trans oil are you running? The wrong amount/type of oil can cause clutch slippage.
Q#2: New clutch from the dealer right?
Q#3: Older countershaft sprocket? or new one that sheared the teeth off?

If there's no teeth left on the countershaft sprocket... no amount of chain tension in the world is going to make it not slip.... get that replaced #1..

Need more info from ya, before I can begin understanding what's going on..

Old 09-15-2003, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

This first started when I bought a magnetic oil plug off ebay. The idiot on there selling them says they are made for the zilla but when I put it in the motor and when I went to run it there was only 1st gear and you could hear something grinding when I was trying to force it in to gear. I came home and pulled the junk drain plug out and I put the old when in and everything was normal but it was the 1st time I ever used 10w 40 because it was a Sunday and everywhere was closed and one of my buddies said he ran it in his bike. I have always used 80w gear saver before and never thought of that until now. I am going to drain the oil and put 80w in and put a new sproket on tommorow and hope it as easy as that but the other thing you made me think of is I have never changed the clutch plates I have had this motor about 4 years. The shops I have had work on it have measured them and said they were fine. Did I mention that all the puppy shops I have taken it to have severly porked me in one way or another. I really dont have the time to rebuild them myself but I think I am going to have to find time or find a qualified shop that has some idea how to fix a zilla.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Above all, do NOT use any of the larger shops. Thier quality control is usually in the krapper and turnaround time is completely uncalled for. The absolute authority in the 500s would be T@N, I have thier number, but they do no have a site. His name is Tony,he is in ogden utah 801 731 5199. Also, check out Macracing, http://www.macracinginc.com/index.htm

Either of these builders would be very qualified to work on your Zilla. All the big shops claim to know the 500s, but the truth is that there are very few shops that know all the Zillas shortcommings and little tricks. Give these quys a call and talk to them, you will not be disappointed.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Assuming it does shift into every gear, the only thing that could slip is the clutch. Did you check the adjustment of the clutch? Adjust it to where the quad creeps just a little in gear with the clutch pulled in. If you ran it with the clutch too far out, you could have toasted the plates....

Old 09-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced the oil and put a new countershaft sproket on and it still seems to be slipping gears. It seems like there is something breaking loose when I am hard on the trottle. The other thing it did was get stuck in gear where the shifter would not move at all then after starting it in gear it freed up and would allow you to shift. Any ideas on what else it may be? What are the signs that the clutch plates are junk? I am just about ready to tear it down myself and anyone who has any words of wisdom would be very helpful this will be the 1st time I did a lower end myself but probably not the last.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Words of wisdom?

First, you can do it if you want. It's your motor and no one will be more carefull than you. You have to learn sometime right? Get the Suzuki service manual. It's pricy but worth it for pictures. It's pretty easy, you should notice any parts that look bent, gouged or whatever. Replace what looks bad and thats it. My only word of wisdom would be "patients". Don't beat with a hammer and pry apart with a screw driver. Tap, tap, tap, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. It will come apart. I'm sure we can help with your questions. Have fun.

Old 09-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer

I have always used 80w gear saver before and never thought of that until now. I am going to drain the oil and put 80w in
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

The manual recommends 20-40wt motorcycle oil. This is the only oil I have ever used. Have changed it at least after every other ride (only1.1qt) or after every flat track race.

In a RACE, first gear was the only time I ever used the clutch (no time to clutch with all those pesky banshees nipping at my heels), I blipped the throttle matched the rpms and slid it in (lt500 has a sweet shifting tranny). Tranny and clutch are still rock solid and ORIGANAL, the whole motor is original. Like I said my bike is 15 years old all original and only used the recommended 20-40wt oil, in extreme racing conditions. Took 1st place overall for the whole season in 88 with 20-40 oil. Took every hole shot in every race and had the lead from start to finish in every race but one, when I spun out in the first corner and got clipped by a dozen banshees [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Sounds like your eBay drain plug was to big and jamming things up in your tranny. Who knows what damage it might have caused?
Time to disassemble, inspect and clean that 80wt oil off your clutch plates if they aren't burnt up and need replacement.
A stretched chain will break teeth off of gears. Chain stretch gauges are available and make it easy to check. A over streched chain is impossible to adjust correctly.

As others have said you can do this your self. Get the manual take your time, ask question and above all be ready for problems. Most all failures other than a few 87zila issues are self induced by the user or mechanic.
Go by the book and heed all its recommendations.