Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Ozark smoking!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ozark smoking!

I've had this quad for 5 months now and put a lot of hard miles on it. Last weekend I was out riding and noticed oil smoke coming out the exhaust. I was riding pretty hard all day and just got done climbing a hill when I noticed the smoke. I would rev it up and it would mostly smoke when I let off the throttle. It has kinda done this before but not as bad as it did this time. Do you think my rings are shot? Has anyone else had this problem with the Ozark? It still runs good and I haven't noticed any oil consumption (maybe just a tad but not enough to add). I started it up yesterday and revved it good a few times and didn't see any smoke but I didn't ride it either..........................Any ideas? Bad motor or just overriding/revving?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ozark smoking!

Hi again, I was doing some reseach on the oil company websites and I think I found the problem. Oil votalility burnoff. Thats why it would smoke after it got hot. You see, I was using car oil cause I have faith in my brand and figured it was good enough. WRONG! There are vital differences between car and cycle oils. Now, before you give me the big "DUH!", I just figured most of you guys use cycle oil cause you had money to burn and I never heard any of you give a good enough reason why I should use it. Now I know and if anyone is new to atvs like me and are using car oil, STOP IT! My owners manual doesn't say to use ONLY motorcycle oil, just API SF/SG. Damned if I knew what that meant! I thought "API SL" surpassed all the previous oils. I'm not going to go into the differences cause this post is getting long but check out the oil co. websites. I haven't changed over yet but I will before I go riding again and I hope I didn't F it up too much. Thank you for reading my dumb post and I hope I didn't give the "too intelligent" guys a headache........

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2003, 02:30 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Default Ozark smoking!

Ozark38,

I am still not convinced. You should do a search on this site for issues on oil because it goes both ways.
In my quads and dirtbikes I have been using auto oil and making my own blends which I have been using for years with no oil related problems. You should not use auto oils that ate labeled energy conserving on the back of the bottle.

ChetRacer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ozark smoking!

I'm with Raptoryfm660, I used auto oil in all of my previous bikes for years, and never once had a smoking problem, or an engine that didn't outlive my expectations.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ozark smoking!

Cool.......I never thought there was much of a difference myself. I figured they just slapped on a different label to make a few more bucks. I just changed my oil yesterday and didn't see any indications of any type of wear so evidently the car oil lubricates good enough and if it wasn't for the smoking I wouldn't even question it. I'll try it and see what happens. I won't know til my next long ride....................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]