Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Engine Displacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Displacement Question

You can still get the parts to rebuild it. I would lower the floats in the carb(s). I'd get a top end kit, and maybe have it ported if you want a little more power.

Old 10-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think the float in the carb can be lowered. My dad's uncle took the carb apart and cleaned it, because we were having a problem getting it started and keeping the engine running, and he said something about the float couldn't be adjusted. Now the engine runs good, but we still have a problem starting it. We have to prime it, but then there is that fine line so it doesn't flood. We figured out a way to get is started, but about every fourth time it does flood, but we just take the plugs out, dry them off, pull the cord a few times to get the excess gas out, and then start the procedure over again. The procedure is sort of weird, but it works.
It goes: Pull cord 4 times, Prime 3 times, Pull cord 3 times, Prime 1 time, and then hold gas and pull cord until engine starts. Sometimes we get lucky and it will start before that whole procedure is done with. Doing it that way the most I have had to pull on it is about 8 times, unless of course it floods, and then I have to do everything over again.

My neighbor is really good with 2-stroke engines, so hopefully when I get it down here he can work on it and rebuild the engine(even though he has never seen a snowmobile in his life).

Old 10-15-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Man, am I stupid or what. It turns out my engine is a 275cc. I found out that the stroke is only 60mm. When I copied the numbers it was at 10 at night, and I was using a moonlight to see, so I guess that is my problem. I found a piston kit that is .40 over. Can anybody tell me what that means?

Old 10-16-2003, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

The carb must be a pumper style if the floats can't be adjusted. You will have to pull the cylinders off before you buy the top end parts in case it has been rebuilt before. The kit that is .040 over means that the piston is 40 thousands bigger than factory, and that is how much it will need bored out. If it's the first rebuild i would find a kit tht is only .020 over. call Dennis kirk and ask for thier piston ordering desk. You friend should have no problem rebuilding it(when rebuilt it should start by the second pull, no problem) I can rebuild a twin sled engine in about 2 hours.