Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Front caliper rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front caliper rebuild questions

I'm rebuilding my front calipers and have a question for someone who's done this before. When I pulled them apart, the piston had the open side facing the pads. My Clymer manual shows them the same way. I got new pistons and seals and had a local shop rebuild one of the calipers. When I picked it up, they had put the piston in the other way around - with the flat (closed side) facing the pads. The guy told me he has always done them this way. So the shop just made a mistake, right?

Well under the reassembly section for the caliper, the Clymer manual says "Position the piston with the flush side facing out toward the brake pads and install the piston ...". Also the piston has a groove for a seal near the open end, if this end is facing out then once the piston moves out a little, the seal is exposed. So what gives?

Old 11-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

when i took mine apart they were open side facing the pads...thats how they are supposed to be in my opinion. If thats what it says in the book then thats how it goes.....if your machanic did it backwards then he was probably smokin something on his break.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: sam250
...the Clymer manual says "Position the piston with the flush side facing out toward the brake pads and install the piston ..."

The flush side would be the flat side, not the open side. I agree with you 'cause at first I thought he did it wrong, but the wording in the shop manual and the positioning of the seals has made me second guess that conclusion. Can anybody else shed some light on this???

Old 12-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

anybody?

Old 12-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

I'm posting my results in case it may help someone else....

The pistons definitely go in with the open end towards the pads. The one that my mechanic installed the other way around would not come out of the caliper cylinder without chewing up the seal. I went to that mechanic for another issue and he showed me that 250R caliper pistons go in with the flat side out, which is what caused his mistake. My clymer manual was wrong also.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

told ya...LOL im glad you worked it out......now please dont take anything back to that lame *** mechanic...do it yourself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]